Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine swap??

Old 06-25-2011, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Engine swap??

okay guys I really need some help here... I blew a head gasket on my 1998 Jeep Cherokee classic. I had the head pinned (it was cracked in two places and the dude charged me as much to fix it as a new head woulda cost but to late now) and then milled... I installed new head gasket, water pump, plugs and wires, thermostat and all new head bolts and gaskets all around and still I am leaking water into my oil..... SO... I think my block is cracked or warped... so I have already wasted 600 bucks on this POS engine and since I rolled my black 2001 Cherokee and bought this one just for the body anyways I was wondering how compatible the engines are... I hear all I-6 blocks for jeeps are compatible but my distributor on the 98n comes from the block where as my 2001 Cherokee uses and ignition rail not distributor... but that's the only thing different I can tell... so... CAN I SWAP A 98 4.0 I-6 with distributor for a 2001 4.0 I-6 with ignition rail and if so are there any problems or conversions that will need to be done?? Swap Wire harnesses? computers?? arg!! I have everything from both vehicles but I am and have been dead in the water for 3 weeks now and its my only vehicle...
Old 06-25-2011, 10:54 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 litre 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by jeepinxjosh
okay guys I really need some help here... I blew a head gasket on my 1998 Jeep Cherokee classic. I had the head pinned (it was cracked in two places and the dude charged me as much to fix it as a new head woulda cost but to late now) and then milled... I installed new head gasket, water pump, plugs and wires, thermostat and all new head bolts and gaskets all around and still I am leaking water into my oil..... SO... I think my block is cracked or warped... so I have already wasted 600 bucks on this POS engine and since I rolled my black 2001 Cherokee and bought this one just for the body anyways I was wondering how compatible the engines are... I hear all I-6 blocks for jeeps are compatible but my distributor on the 98n comes from the block where as my 2001 Cherokee uses and ignition rail not distributor... but that's the only thing different I can tell... so... CAN I SWAP A 98 4.0 I-6 with distributor for a 2001 4.0 I-6 with ignition rail and if so are there any problems or conversions that will need to be done?? Swap Wire harnesses? computers?? arg!! I have everything from both vehicles but I am and have been dead in the water for 3 weeks now and its my only vehicle...
from my knoledge of the systems...

ya need to swap over all different accessories, including the computer yada yada

but the bright side is plenty of room for mods
hehe!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:29 PM

Im thinking my only problem would be the wiring harness... that's all I was able to find in another forum.. but what about computers and stuff?

This is some engine info I found I dunno how accurate it is but im confused if I should use parts from both engines to build a great one.. maybe thats my best option...

87-2001 had the 4.0

87-90 are RENIX, not HO. They are very reliable and loved by XJ diehards like myself. They do not give a code if there is a issue, you need to keep tabs on fuel economy to tell if a problem is arising. You only need the RENIX FI manual and a volt/ohm meter to diagnose issues. Some 87-89's got the desirable D-44 in the rear. All 87-90 XJ's have the HP D-30 CAD or center disconnect axle unless it has the NP 242 full time T-case. 87-90 has the 21 spline AW4/NP 231 with the exception of the 90 AX15 equipped XJ's, they are 23 spline. The front axle U-joints are 260X and not as strong as the 297X that is used in the 96+XJ's

91-95 are OBD1 and are reliable years and have the most desirable block/head combo

96 is a oddball, it has OBD2 but still has the old body style, but still has the desirable head/block. The 96 also has 297X front axle U-joints. I have 2 of these as they are very reliable rigs.

97 got the revamped body but has many electrical issues, stay away from it.

98/99 are great rigs and still have the HP D-30 in the front/CHRYCO 8.25 29 spline in the rear

2000/2001 have cylinder head issues with the 0331 head casting cracking, about 50% will or have cracked. these years also have heat soak issues due to the pre-cats creating extra heat under the hood and vaporizing the fuel in #3 fuel injector. This causes a rough running engine on restart after a hot shut down.

So having said that it should switch over just fine but would I keep my wiring harness from my 98 and just swap computers? lol

Somebody shoot me! Should I put the intake manifold and exhaust manifold from the 98 and put on the 01 to stay away from the pre cats stuff? or would that screw up the computer swap?

I hope you see why i'm confused....