Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

engine replacement

Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default engine replacement

the inline 6 4 litre engine in my 2000 cherokee sport has overheated and died
shops tell me my only options are engines from the 2000 2001 cherokees as replacements is there a way around this ? I dont want an engine with a faulty head again. to up and die around the 200k mark whats up here
thanks for any advice its appreciated
Old 11-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996
Engine: 4.0

If you buy a new motor (not a junkyard scrap) you will have a new casting of the head, they don't sell a head that will crack on a new motor. You can have a new long block for under 2000.00 with a warranty.Motors at Quadretec com.You don't really think that they would sell a new motor with a bad head do you?Check out 4wd.com 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, 2000- 4.0 liter 6 cyl eng. $1594.99.hows that
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

What went on the engine? was it the head? put a head off a 96-98 on it
Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

The reason they say that is because you have a coil pack not a distributor. And the shop is of course wrong as they almost always are. You can find a like motor out of a Grand or a TJ or YJ not sure on the years of those wronglers I think its a YJ but not 100%. Some of the brackets or wiring could be different but you have all the ones off you old motor. So next time don't get rapped buy a shop and give someone a side job if you don't have the means.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 PM

thanks much i will check the links. the engine overheated into oblivion lost all compression guage did not register. apparently there were faulty heads on these engines, discussed it here I thought
Old 11-16-2011, 08:55 PM

I understand about changing the coil pack and such I am concerned there may be different mount castings on the block or some such problem thats unsolveable thanks
james shea
1964 perkins cj5
1957 v6 cj5
Old 11-16-2011, 10:32 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

diesel......

course I gotta ask the dumb questions and postulate the (maybe) obvious...

ok, did YOU do a compression test on this motor?
ok, did YOU see oil and or coolant ALL over the motor BELOW the head?
ok, (sorry about the oks), did YOU pull the dipstick to check the oil and see it all milky colored and smelling like coolant?
ok, are there metal shavings in the oil? (dipstick oil check usually can pick up small fragments when you check oil. etc etc.)

Now, there are a quite a few A/D (Analog to Digital) sensors the geniuses at Chrysler designed to monitor and control regulatory functions of the engine when its purportedly operating correctly which can confound the bejeezus outta someone when they don't work right, (or fail) which signals feed the ECM ( aka computer) of the Jeep. So,, did your shop bother to explain or give you a code readout? if they did what were they?

pardon the lengthy diatribe sir, but if you have no compression you either have a totally blown head gasket or your valve train has collapsed ( resulting from the running of the engine with a blown head gasket and the valve seals and springs have been fractured and/or degraded cuz of that.)

Now, maybe the rings have failed, and yeah a rebuild or swap COULD be solution, and that could be to the overheat due to head gasket and coolant leak/loss etc. but........

personally, I am leaning to a head replacement.....The 4.0 liter block and internals are damn tough. ( unless you ran it LONG without oil that is) , what most folks have is through the overheating is the head gasket causing top end damage. Ergo, head damage. Ergo, no compression..

Again, speculation, as I don't know how far you drove it once you recognized symptoms, or how hard, and not knowing if you bought it or inherited it in this condition without having it checked out.

Now, you might consult a more reputable shop ( even the dealer for jeep is VERY competitive these days, but you have to talk to them like you know what you know you need and this comes through research and exact data).
Yeah I know its tough sometimes, we all have jobs and our transportation is not high on our list of really understanding....

But bottom line is, from what you stated originally, I think your head is shot. you can get a decent one from ebay or from a good junkyard or even get a quote from a GOOD machine shop in your area for a head rebuild.

Again, I do understand that the technical prowess to the intricacies of their cars/trucks/jeeps etc., is not a priority in most peoples lives for their vehicles. I am just pointing out what I think I read from your post.

If this helped somewhat, great!, If not my apologies. Unless you know for 100% that the pistons or rings or bearings or crankshaft is toast....methinks sir you need a new head.. maybe believe it or not, just a new head gasket properly installed.

I wish you the best of luck sir! hope it helped.

cpnwrench

Old 11-16-2011, 11:27 PM

the shop said they looked at the piston heads and they were burnt . destroyed? I will enquire more. my wife was driving the truck she said it just lost all power and she was aware to monitor the heat guage and said it was fine util she tryed to restart and it went to red and came back down.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 PM

Year: 1991

Diesel......ALL piston tops are burnt!!! its called COMBUSTION!!!

now if they said MELTED, thats different.

YOU need VISUAL verification. Get your HAYNES manual (19.95 at auto parts store, check photos of what tops of pistons are supposed to look like)

did they take pics? or are you takin their word?

GO TO DIFFERENT SHOP. they are hustlin you.

take charge of the situation....have them show you specifically what is broken....
if they dont, GO somewhere else even if it means a tow.

good luck sir

cpnwrench

Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

If they looked at the "piston heads" aka cylinder head and said "they" it is burnt,destroyed then they have removed the head already? Because this is the only way they can have this information!And in any case the cylinder head does not get burnt, maybe burnt valves or pistons or something like that but you can not tell either without taking the head off.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

The coil pack setup uses the same distributor "pocket" per say on the block that the older motors use for the standard drop in cap/rotor.... only catch is its not a double standard.... Newer motors coil pack can swap onto older blocks.... Newer blocks can't use the old style distributor... but still there are casting differences in the blocks and depending on what year setup you find, the intakes are different... I would stick to as close to the same year as you can
Old 11-17-2011, 10:13 AM

Year: 2000.1999,1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy XJMJ
The coil pack setup uses the same distributor "pocket" per say on the block that the older motors use for the standard drop in cap/rotor.... only catch is its not a double standard.... Newer motors coil pack can swap onto older blocks.... Newer blocks can't use the old style distributor... but still there are casting differences in the blocks and depending on what year setup you find, the intakes are different... I would stick to as close to the same year as you can
The hole for the disb. on a 2000-01 block is used for the oil pump drive and cam sensor, the coil packs are bolted to the head which has bolt holes cast in it.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 PM

thanks for the help and input guys. I going to contact 4wd .com and get a price delivered thanks
j shea
1964 perkins cj5
1957 v6 cj5