Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine dies/stalls when stopping quicking or turning or hitting bumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6L
Default Engine dies/stalls when stopping quicking or turning or hitting bumps

Got a 2000 jeep cherokee l6. Having issues once truck warms up and running. I can drive and come to a stop for a light check engine light will come on and engine will die, can put it in neutral and it crank right back up no issue and no check engine light. Even when driving and hit a pot hole or a rut the engine light will come on and engine will shut off again. I can't find any loose wires. Havent owned the truck long. Not 100percent sure what the issue is.no codes scanned a few times. Anyone have this issue?

Last edited by bangem; 04-09-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by bangem
Got a 2000 jeep cherokee l6. Having issues once truck warms up and running. I can drive and come to a stop for a light check engine light will come on and engine will die, can put it in neutral and it crank right back up no issue and no check engine light. Even when driving and hit a pot hole or a rut the engine light will come on and engine will shut off again. I can't find any loose wires. Havent owned the truck long. Not 100percent sure what the issue is.no codes scanned a few times. Anyone have this issue?
What wires have you checked? I'd be focusing on the battery/ground cables for starters. There are a few ground points, not just at the battery. Look for corrosion as well at the connections. I have read on here some of the weird issues that happened with loose or corroded ground wires.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by rgr4475
What wires have you checked? I'd be focusing on the battery/ground cables for starters. There are a few ground points, not just at the battery. Look for corrosion as well at the connections. I have read on here some of the weird issues that happened with loose or corroded ground wires.

i will check the the ground on the battery. there isn't any corrosion on the terminals. i keep having to jump it if i let it sit for a couple days. battery would be completely dead with nothing left on. checked all fuses and they seem fine. the battery ground goes where mine is on the frame right below the hood. doesn't look original.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

In addition to the battery terminal, there are grounds by the oil dipstick and on the engine block. I may be missing another too. Maybe search for a diagram and start there. That is a free check and something easy to rule out if they are all clean and corrosion free.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by rgr4475
in addition to the battery terminal, there are grounds by the oil dipstick and on the engine block. I may be missing another too. Maybe search for a diagram and start there. That is a free check and something easy to rule out if they are all clean and corrosion free.

yea, i only seen two grounds the one coming straight off the battery to the bolt right under the hood and the one on the back of the engine going to the fire wall ( ground strap). I seen some people change the one on the back of the engine to fire wall to a 4 awg cable to connect better. The cable looks okay but i may change it. Looking up ground locations now.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:31 AM

yea, i only seen two grounds the one coming straight off the battery to the bolt right under the hood and the one on the back of the engine going to the fire wall ( ground strap). I seen some people change the one on the back of the engine to fire wall to a 4 awg cable to connect better. The cable looks okay but i may change it. Looking up ground locations now.
I FOUND THESE DIAGRAMS TO SHOW THE GROUNDS.
THE WEBSITE http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...und_straps.htm STATES THAT IF THE GROUND FROM BLACK TO FIRE WALL IS BAD IT COULD CAUSE ALL KINDS OF ISSUES.. HOPEFULLY THATS IT OR TPS GROUND??
Attached Thumbnails Engine dies/stalls when stopping quicking or turning or hitting bumps-electrical_engine_ground_points_arrow_a.jpg   Engine dies/stalls when stopping quicking or turning or hitting bumps-electrical_engine_ground_points_arrrow_b.jpg   Engine dies/stalls when stopping quicking or turning or hitting bumps-electrical_engine_ground_points_overview.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

The light that's coming on, is that the check engine light or the check gauges light?

If it's the check engine light, the computer may be storing a code even if the light goes off. Do you have an OBDII reader? If not, you can buy a dedicated reader, use Torque (Android) or DashCommand (iPhone) with an OBDII adapter, or take it to an auto parts store and have them scan the codes for you for free. If there are codes stored, they may tell you something about what's happening.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

As mentioned above clean all of your grouding points which include both battery terminals, oil dipstick, rear of the head to the fire wall and the mounting area between the starter and the engine block. Just because the look clean doesn't mean they are. The build up a thin film that is very hard to see. I would also have your battery load tested an the alternator bench tested. Since you say the batter will drain if you let it sit.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
the light that's coming on, is that the check engine light or the check gauges light?

If it's the check engine light, the computer may be storing a code even if the light goes off. Do you have an obdii reader? If not, you can buy a dedicated reader, use torque (android) or dashcommand (iphone) with an obdii adapter, or take it to an auto parts store and have them scan the codes for you for free. If there are codes stored, they may tell you something about what's happening.

yes, its check gauges and check engine light at the same time. Then everything dies and gauges . I scanned it a couple time with a cheap hand held one (code hammer from napa) i have but come back nothing. I may take it an auto parts store and if if they can get anything from it.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Open the link below. There's photos of the ground points in the engine bay for a '97-'01.

Click on the image to enlarge, click again to make it larger yet.

The photo of G101 is of a '99. You won't have a coil there but the ground studs are there.

The wires at G102 (oil dipstick) are grounds for the Data Link Connector and has nothing to do with your problem. Give it a quick check to see if they're connected though.

The ground at the firewall is for radio noise suppression and usually doesn't cause problems unless G100 is corroded. The firewall bonding strap is an alternate route from the engine to the chassis. If G100 is ate up with corrosion the only ground path from the engine (battery ground) to the chassis is through G100. Check/clean G100 first then worry about the firewall bonding strap.

You can see in the pic of G101 all the circuits grounded there.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/3212734
Old 04-09-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ccken
open the link below. There's photos of the ground points in the engine bay for a '97-'01.

Click on the image to enlarge, click again to make it larger yet.

The photo of g101 is of a '99. You won't have a coil there but the ground studs are there.

The wires at g102 (oil dipstick) are grounds for the data link connector and has nothing to do with your problem. Give it a quick check to see if they're connected though.

The ground at the firewall is for radio noise suppression and usually doesn't cause problems unless g100 is corroded. The firewall bonding strap is an alternate route from the engine to the chassis. If g100 is ate up with corrosion the only ground path from the engine (battery ground) to the chassis is through g100. Check/clean g100 first then worry about the firewall bonding strap.

You can see in the pic of g101 all the circuits grounded there.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/3212734

okay, i am gonna check. I seen your post earlier from a previous thread. Similar. My ground at g101 is not at that location it is moved to directly under the hood.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

okay, i am gonna check. I seen your post earlier from a previous thread. Similar. My ground at g101 is not at that location it is moved to directly under the hood.

Huh?

Name:  Morgan-Freeman-shocked_gif_pagespeed_ce_oAk0W2auu8.gif
Views: 750
Size:  450.9 KB
Old 04-09-2015, 05:02 PM

See directly under hood. Someone moved it to this location
Old 04-09-2015, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

That's a relocation of G100, not G101.

Check G101.

What other changes/mods have been done to your Jeep?

See directly under hood. Someone moved it to this location
Old 04-09-2015, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
That's a relocation of G100, not G10

Check G101.

What other changes/mods have been done to your Jeep?

After looking i am guessing this is 101. Looks like i needs to be cleaned and redone. Every thing is stock on engine.

Quick Reply: Engine dies/stalls when stopping quicking or turning or hitting bumps