Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Dies--Help!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline six cylinder
Default Engine Dies--Help!

I have owned my 1994 Cherokee Sport since it was new. It has 137,000 miles on it and has started dying on me from time-to-time. If I am traveling at hwy speed it will die and immediately start running again. If I am stopping for a light it will die and I can start it back up with no problems. It doesn't do it all the time but has become frustrating. I have changed the plugs, plug wires, dist cap, rotor button, fuel filter and coil and it still does it. I thought about the fuel pump and the crank sensor but thought I would ask the experts on the forum for your advice. I have owned several Jeeps but this is the first time I have a problem with any of them. Your help will be appreciated!
Bernie
Old 07-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Default Engine Dies -- Help2!

I am having the exact same symptoms with my 1995 Cherokee Country. It has died at least 4-5 times in the last month. Last night it died again. We had only driven 2-3 miles, doing about 45 mph; and the engine jerked and died. I pulled over but the engine wouldn't start. We wait 10 minutes, pumped the gas pedal once and it finally started.
I just had my mechanic give the engine a complete tune-up; but the problem remains. Please let me know if anyone has experienced this problem and how to solve it.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Sounds like both of you guys have Fuel Pumps that are giving you the first signs of dying. Do the fuel pressure check at the test port on the fuel injection rail. You'll need a hand held mechanical gauge. With the Jeep sitting and idling you should have 30 PSI. Anything else and the fuel pump is bad. If you get the 30 PSI, then disconnect the vacuum line at the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the front end of the fuel injection rail. When you unplug the vacuum line your pressure should jump up to 39 PSI. If this does not happen then your Fuel Pressure Regulator is bad.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:12 PM

I would replace the CPS that is a very common problem and that is exactly what they do
Old 07-31-2009, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

wouldnt the cps make the vehicle not run at all? x2 on checking the fuel pressure. how long has this been happening?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:51 PM

Default temp

i had this problem also. it happens when my ac or heat is on the jeep will over heat if ur not going at a steady speed in town it will do it alot.. so i recomend the windows down just keep an i on the temp gauge. jeeps are different but i beleive that may be ur prob... just my opinion tho.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:16 AM

Year: 2 88 XJ/1 86 XJ/ 98 Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

My Xj did that and I replaced the TPS Sensor, and the IAC Senor and it runs fine now. No dieing anymore runs like a swish watch
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Hate to bump an old thread but its probably better than starting a new one...

I'm having the OP's same issue. It started about two months ago. It's intermittent...I thought it was a corrosive dist. cap contact (one of the contacts had white corrosive stuff on it). I cleaned it and it seemed to be running great but on my way back from my camping trip this past weekend it started happening again and its pretty bad.

Does anyone have a concise answer on this issue?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:48 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

You can test the Fuel Pump with a hand held pressure gauge at the test port on the fuel rail. You can test the CPS with DMM at the connector on the firewall near the Power Brake Booster. Please do yourself a favor and look here on the forum and elsewhere online. There is a wealth of troubleshooting and procedures to test suspected bad componants and sensors on your Jeep. It sounds like a lot of guys on here like to just throw parts at their Jeep until it starts and runs good again. I can't afford to do that and you probably can't either.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

If you search and cannot find the procedures for testiing the fuel pump, CPS and most other sensors on an XJ. PM me and I will send them to you.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
You can test the Fuel Pump with a hand held pressure gauge at the test port on the fuel rail. You can test the CPS with DMM at the connector on the firewall near the Power Brake Booster. Please do yourself a favor and look here on the forum and elsewhere online. There is a wealth of troubleshooting and procedures to test suspected bad componants and sensors on your Jeep. It sounds like a lot of guys on here like to just throw parts at their Jeep until it starts and runs good again. I can't afford to do that and you probably can't either.
Solid advice. After tireless searching, I'm quite certain that my issue is the CPS. I will test today to rule that out for sure. Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:20 PM

CPS sensor is in and the Jeep is running like a top!