Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical: Parking Lights wont turn off, '01 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Electrical: Parking Lights wont turn off, '01 XJ

Ok, out of the blue yesterday my parking lights wont turn off. I did some research but apparently I havent found the right answer. It has helped me to provide you guys with a little more information though.

1) I took apart the dash and the multi-switch thing appears to work fine. When I disconnect the harness and the ground wire the problem does not go away.

2) All functions of the switch work including interior lights, headlights, and high beams.

3) When I go from the parking light position of the switch to the off position they do dim slightly.

4)The large connector behind the drivers side headlight does kill the front lights but the tails parking lights are still on.

Questions:

1) Whats wrong,... j/k I wish it were that easy

2) I keep reading about the "relay" and "DRL Module" Any relay I have seen in either box doesnt reference anything about lighting. I pulled them all any way and the problem was still there. I also saw stuff referencing the DRL module. I can't seem to locate that, and why do we have one? It doesnt have daytime running lights?

Any help please, I have all day to tear this thing apart.

Brian
Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 AM

OK I traced it to one of the harnesses in the hatch area

In the sheetmetal clipped behind the trim pieces on drivers side rear cargo area. I'm not sure what all this particular plug feeds but I know trailer wiring is clipped in with it.

THe trailer harness clipes in with a male plug and then 8" down stream has another one. I disconnected the down stream one and left the other stuff plugged in.... the problem was still gone so I believe that rules out the trailer wiring.

What else runs off this plug. There is a sensor packed in foam in the bottom of the fender.... and group of wires that goes through a grommet and underneath the Jeep to somewhere around the middle of the bumper before I cant trace it further.

I have had electrical problems with my hatch and everything associated with the hatch but I have that disconnected at the plug by the third brake light and still have the problem. So I'd believe that rules out the hatch too.

AHHHHH
Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Update 3:

Last week I got my buildsheet from Jeep and it says my Jeep had a factory tow package... but it has an aftermarket one on it now with aftermarket hitch and wiring.

The harness that goes underneath and then dissappears now appears to possibly be the harness for the factory tow hitch????? it was sitting up on top of the bumper support not connected to anything kinda fried inside.

Im guessing the rear tow was disconnected possibly for ground clearance, I dunno, and they just left the harness sit and then it got wet and shorted out.

So what can I do, can I just cut and cap each wire untill I can get a new plug for it

Hope you guys have enjoyed my journey today