Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electric problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Electric problems?

So awhile back I bought a 91 2dr jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 straight 6 and recently every time I tried to put it into reverse it would die on me and then it started happening while I was in drive never while I was actually on the gas but when ever I came to a stop light it would die or start sputtering then return to normal I thought it was a bad wire somewhere ground somewhere I started with the radio because it was an aftermarket one installed by some kid and there were a lot of wires just out touching everything so I taped them all up but that wasn't it. It still continues to do it and it's definitely gotten worse I went to turn the heater on a few days back and it killed everything so I turned it back on and started it up and drove off and got to the end of the road turned my blinked on and it died. It also died when I was using my lights. I checked my battery and everything seems to be fine it was resting at 12v and charging at 14v when running. And last night I parked it and then in the morning went out to start it to let it warm up and it wouldn't start or anything. I turned the key over and nothing happened at all. I'm completely confused by the problem
Old 08-17-2015, 07:55 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Check your main cables from the battery to the other end. Make sure there isn't corrosion INSIDE the insulation.