Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electric fan blues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Electric fan blues

Happy mudders day gents, I had a quick inquiry as I'm using this time to work on the XJ.
So I somehow got my electric fan to turn on by charging my AC lines with new coolant. For reference there wasn't any in the lines before hand and the fan wouldn't turn on.
Now that it does turn on it stressed the crap out of the alternator (I've been needing a new battery too) to the pony where it stalled in the driveway.
Also it's doing the electric boogie and shaking the whole front end.
Any tips/tricks/fixes?
Old 05-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the electric fan by itself can draw that much current to shut your motor down. I would think the 40 amp fuse would blow first. Time to get out your multi meter and see what's up with the fan. However, I think that your issues are with some other component.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Drstrangelove
Happy mudders day gents, I had a quick inquiry as I'm using this time to work on the XJ.
So I somehow got my electric fan to turn on by charging my AC lines with new coolant. For reference there wasn't any in the lines before hand and the fan wouldn't turn on.
Now that it does turn on it stressed the crap out of the alternator (I've been needing a new battery too) to the pony where it stalled in the driveway.
Also it's doing the electric boogie and shaking the whole front end.
Any tips/tricks/fixes?
Well as far as the shakes go, check the motor mounts. The electric fan is triggered by a temp sensor so I'm not thinking the AC charge was the reason. I would think its the temp switch or a relay going bad. You mention the alternator is stressed, did you have it tested? Just asking because the alternator is designed to provide enough power to run all the normal stuff. Then as to the battery you already know what you need to do, get a fresh one. It's pretty typical to see several problems at once so don't assume it's all related. Post up what you figure out. Hopefully the post will start with "after I dropped in the battery and got the alternator tested here's what happened". Lol.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:07 PM

So after checking the alternator I replaced the battery as it wouldn't hold a charge, under warranty, replaced and working fine. The fan is shaking still, but it's because the lower mounts are missing/ripped off. Shakes like a mother. And yes, for some reason, after charging my AC sustem it decided to work. Before that, nothing.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Drstrangelove
So after checking the alternator I replaced the battery as it wouldn't hold a charge, under warranty, replaced and working fine. The fan is shaking still, but it's because the lower mounts are missing/ripped off. Shakes like a mother. And yes, for some reason, after charging my AC sustem it decided to work. Before that, nothing.
Well the AC triggers the electric fan when it's switched on. So possibly the lack of coolant prevented the AC from cycling therefore prevented the electric fan from coming on as designed. I would throw on a new electric fan, 40-50 bucks around most parts stores and online. Glad you got a new battery under warranty.

Last edited by Cheddarnut; 05-10-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
Well the AC triggers the electric fan when it's switched on. So possibly the lack of coolant prevented the AC from cycling therefore prevented the lectric fan from coming on as designed. I would throw on a new electric fan, 40-50 bucks around most parts stores and online. Glad you got a new battery under warranty.

There is a in line pressure switch, low refrigerant..... no compressor.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
There is a in line pressure switch, low refrigerant..... no compressor.
There you have it OP, mystery solved.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
There you have it OP, mystery solved.
Another job well done gang, good work.

Thanks a bunch guys. Compressor is what is leaking. woo.