Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

E fan question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default E fan question?

My electric fan doesn't work. I've tried jumping it last year with 12V and it ran for a second then stopped.

Are there sensors within the fan that will tell it to run or not? I assumed if I run 12v to the connector that it should run and that there is a relay elsewhere that will tell it to run or not.

If I get a new fan, do I need one like this?: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...342&cc=1315943 The descriptions says not to used with clutch type fans. I obviously have a clutch fan off the motor as well. I think this second electric one is for the AC. I thought I Read that the electric fan only goes on when temps reach over 200 degrees or something. Any insight on this?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Fan should kick on if powered directly.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Can you turn the fan freely by hand? Perhaps the connector on it is dirty/corroded/crappy? Maybe try jumping it behind the connector on the wires. Normally, the e-fan will kick on when A/C is activated, or when coolant temp reaches 218 degrees.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Well that's a good sign then that the fan is dead then. 173K on it. Just need to figure out what to get to replace it. It has been running pretty good without it, but sometimes gets pretty hot when the temps hit and I am wheeling or towing.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Can you turn the fan freely by hand? Perhaps the connector on it is dirty/corroded/crappy? Maybe try jumping it behind the connector on the wires. Normally, the e-fan will kick on when A/C is activated, or when coolant temp reaches 218 degrees.
I think I cut the connector off and hard wired it. I did this when I was wheeling and it was reaching 220+ and overheating. I jumped it with 12v in the parking lot and it ran so I figured relay was bad. I cut connector off and ran a wire to the fuse block so I could run it just by that. It turned over for about 20 seconds then died. All that work for nothing. Tried it a few more times and it would turn the blades but that was it. Dead motor looks like.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RoyB
I think I cut the connector off and hard wired it. I did this when I was wheeling and it was reaching 220+ and overheating. I jumped it with 12v in the parking lot and it ran so I figured relay was bad. I cut connector off and ran a wire to the fuse block so I could run it just by that. It turned over for about 20 seconds then died. All that work for nothing. Tried it a few more times and it would turn the blades but that was it. Dead motor looks like.
Sounds about right. I was just looking at these on RockAuto, and you can get a replacement motor, but for the same cost you can get a whole new fan. You could always go to a junkyard and get an E-fan, too. Doesn't have to necessarily be for an XJ either!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:55 AM

Yea I saw the motors were as much as the whole assembly. Are those Efans on rock auto what I need? Descriptions makes no sense.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

I'm not sure I trust it. RockAuto has sent me the wrong parts before that were supposedly compatible with another vehicle I have. It doesn't look much like the stock fan. You could try it, and if the fan itself doesnt fit or is of lesser quality than the factory fan, you could swap those motors.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 PM

I swung by the Junkyard down the street from work. Never even thought about that place before. They have the same number address and always come to our office looking for them.

I swung in there and picked up an E fan for $30 and a new window switch for the GFs Impala. They had no mechanical fan shroud though
Old 07-16-2013, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RoyB
I swung by the Junkyard down the street from work. Never even thought about that place before. They have the same number address and always come to our office looking for them.

I swung in there and picked up an E fan for $30 and a new window switch for the GFs Impala. They had no mechanical fan shroud though
Did you hook the new fan up? Does it work good?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Did you hook the new fan up? Does it work good?
I put it (junk yard one) in yesterday. Not sure how to test it? If it only goes on when it hits 220, then I can't test it in the driveway cause it only sits at 200 idling.

Today is about 90 and humid though. Took it through traffic downtown, seemed to sit right at 205, with the AC running. It bumped up to 255 for a minute. I turned the AC off and it shot back down to 205. Maybe air bubble in coolant? I changed the water pump and thermostat and flushed the system early last year. It's done that before, shot up for a second and dropped back down.

When I get home I may jump with 12V to see if it even runs. It has quite a bit more tension on the motor than the one I took out though, if that is any indication. I was going to paint mark the blade to see if it moves at all while driving. How do you test it otherwise?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pop the hood and turn on your AC. It should come on.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 PM

If it goes on ANY time the AC is on, then no, it is not working . Need to check with volt meter when I get home to see if it's even sending 12v to run.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:20 PM

Went to lunch today, saw a 40 amp fuse sitting in my cup holder. Forgot I pulled the fuse out when I realized the fan wasn't working so I could stick my brake controller wire into the fuse spot. Put the fuse in and the fan indeed does work. Temps were a tick under the 210 mark- so 190-200 I guess. Now I just need to figure out why my AC is intermittent
Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 PM

My son's AC was intermittent, I put a 12oz can of R134 in . The compressor doesn't start & stop anymore and the air is cold. Just make sure you use a gauge and hook up to the low pressure fitting.

Quick Reply: E fan question?