Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dying jeep

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Dying jeep

Today was the first time i drove the beast, since last week. Last week, drove to work no problem. I drove home, amd it died on me at the end of my street. I tried and tried and tried to start it, but it just wouldnt start. I pished it home, then it started right up, when i got it where i park it.
Today, same thing, drove to work, no problem. Drove home, died about a mile away from home. Pushed it off the road, and tried to start it a few times, until it finally fired up. Drove about 80 yards and stalled out again. After a few attempts of starting, it would eventually start and stall at random intervals.
i have noticed, lately, that sometimes my fuel pump is quieter than other times. And sometimes, i dont hear it at all. I do live in Florida, so heat may even play a roll; heat soak. Im wondering if maybe the fuel pump may be on its way out? Maybe a faulty/dirty relay? Wiring? Too much to guess at.... Whats your take?
Old 08-16-2017, 01:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Fuel pressure is easy to check with a gauge onto the valve on the injector rail so it's worth eliminating that possibility first. Should be 49psi for most years but you don't say what jeep you have.
My guess would be Crank Position Sensor, try searching for symptoms and tests for that before you load the parts cannon ☺
Old 08-16-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Sorry, didnt realize that signatures didnt show up when using a phone. 95 cherokee sport, 4.0, aw4....