Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dug out the Classic Snap On Scanner today..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dug out the Classic Snap On Scanner today..

Nothing beats the ole Classic snap-on scanners!! The "Brick"! Dug it out to verify some settings and status' after changing the intake/exhaust manifolds.

Using the "Fast Track Troubleshooter" which is kind of a how-to for guys like me who don't do a lot of scanning ....It indicates that the rapid and constant toggling of the O2 voltages between 1.1V - 4.96V is normal (according to snap-on). Seemed strange to me, but I guess this resistence-type works that way. Idle is 600 RPM - that's good, Idle vacuum seemed low at 16, but once ya get it up to about 1200 rpm it jumps up to 18-19 inches and holds there ..although I didn't drive it to verify. What do you guys record for vacuum at idle? The only thing it says to do is adjust the TPS (throttle pos sensor) a touch, because it's reading a little high, at idle. Do that tomorrow.

A lot of this stuff might be available on the newer scanners, but there's something neat about using and operating these old Snap On Bricks on vintage tin. It's probably one of those tools if you're into maintaining older Jeeps would be worthwhile to keep in the toolbox. Especially if ya have an old Renix system. For one, the cartridges for older 90s and below vehicles are cheap. Mine tops off at 2004. Haven't used it in a while. I'm going to hang onto it till ...the end!

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 10-23-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Jeepwalker
Nothing beats the ole Classic snap-on scanners!! The "Brick"! Dug it out to verify some settings and status' after changing the intake/exhaust manifolds.

Using the "Fast Track Troubleshooter" which is kind of a how-to for guys like me who don't do a lot of scanning ....It indicates that the rapid and constant toggling of the O2 voltages between 1.1V - 4.96V is normal (according to snap-on). Seemed strange to me, but I guess this resistence-type works that way. Idle is 600 RPM - that's good, Idle vacuum seemed low at 16, but once ya get it up to about 1200 rpm it jumps up to 18-19 inches and holds there ..although I didn't drive it to verify. What do you guys record for vacuum at idle? The only thing it says to do is adjust the TPS (throttle pos sensor) a touch, because it's reading a little high, at idle. Do that tomorrow.

A lot of this stuff might be available on the newer scanners, but there's something neat about using and operating these old Snap On Bricks on vintage tin. It's probably one of those tools if you're into maintaining older Jeeps would be worthwhile to keep in the toolbox. Especially if ya have an old Renix system. For one, the cartridges for older 90s and below vehicles are cheap. Mine tops off at 2004. Haven't used it in a while. I'm going to hang onto it till ...the end!

Wish i had it. Too cool. I've been searching for one but not sure what modules i need or if they are upgraded to latest levels from back then.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:37 PM

Ha, Ha ..you're right. Snap-on did a great job making it confusing and designing a system which they could constantly sell parts/pieces to mechanics. I used to know guys who had many thousands tied up in their scanner with all the connectors, cartridges, keys, cables, different foreign cartridges, printers, etc. ...to 'milk' money out of mechanics!!!

They're all over ebay and videos online. I've seen kits for $120 that would work and then some. I would personally avoid the "Graphing" scanner (MTG2500). They cost way more the graphing capability is slow and not useful. I have one. The newer model scanners by Snap-on (Solus, Verus) have way better graphing and screens, read much newer vehicles, cost more, and don't have the confusing connectors or cartridges.

What one would need besides the red MT2500 brick is a:
- Primary Cartridge the year of your vehicle or newer. The Primary cartridge is the software. They're backward compatible, so, a Domestic 1995 cartridge would work fine on any domestic (GM/Ford/Jeep/Chry) 1995 and older (to 1981). A cartridge for 2004 would work 04 and older vehicles (to 81).
- Main cable
- Renix system Connector - Or whichever vehicle you're working on. (You can buy other connectors for other vehicles, e.g. 95 Ford Truck ....later if you wanted). Don't need keys. I'm not even going to go into the 'keys'.
- FastTrack Troubleshooter cartridge (Optional) . Most guys go with the troubleshooter cartridge. Older Domestic F/T cartridges compatible with a Renix system are now inexpensive. The F/T Cartridge doesn't have to 'match' the Primary year cartridge, but does have to be the same year or newer as your vehicle. Normally you want it to be a few years newer than the vehicle to take advantage of issues mechanics may have found to help troubleshooting. Regardless, they don't provide a LOT of information. Just some helpful tidbits. I believe the newest year vehicle the cartridges read up to is 2004 (then they switched to the Solus), but I've seen some auctions which say some cartridges can read to 07 ..but I don't think it's legit. I doubt it. Once you hook it up to the Renix connector, the vehicle powers the scanner, even if the battery is low or nonexistent.

As I write this out, it IS kind of confusing, isn't it?? Once you get the hang of it, it's simple. But if you're not into it, you're probably better off just going to Autozone for a free scan. You won't get all the data, but enough to get started.

The word on some Forums is snap-on dropped certain capabilities and data from earlier cars to save memory on later cartridges like 2004 cartridges. That later software is supposedly what made it into their newer and current scanners. So, for this reason, the bricks with older cartridges that can read ALL the older car data still have relevance. I should pop in an older cartridge to see if there are any differences for Renix. Hmmmm... got myself thinking.

But anyway, not for everyone. A guy can buy almost all new sensors on ebay .....for the price of a scanner.

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 10-23-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:41 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990

Are you guys aware of this? Affordable scanner.......

https://www.facebook.com/nickintimefilms/
Old 10-24-2018, 08:14 AM

Looks good, esp for fan control. Well thought out. Does it work with Renix? I read through but didn't see....

BTW, there are other scanners out there that'll work with Jeeps too. I don't pretend to say the Snap-on is the best by any means. It's old-school that's for sure!!
Old 10-24-2018, 08:33 AM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Are you guys aware of this? Affordable scanner.......

https://www.facebook.com/nickintimefilms/
It looks like his stuff is Renix? I have a 93 and it's OBD I
Old 10-24-2018, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by XJTexas
It looks like his stuff is Renix? I have a 93 and it's OBD I

REM is Renix only.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:02 AM

Cruiser, that looks good. Smart use of technology.

I should have just posted this video about the Snap-On scanner above. Would have saved me a lot of typing

Old 05-12-2022, 12:06 AM

Default I have one I will sell

Originally Posted by XJTexas
Wish i had it. Too cool. I've been searching for one but not sure what modules i need or if they are upgraded to latest levels from back then.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:52 AM

Contact Nick at Nick In Time designs and get his REM if you have a Renix Jeep.