Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Drivetrain thump question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Drivetrain thump question

01 Cherokee Auto trans- in line 6- 127K- from a dead stop- then push the gas to drive forward I get the thumping like there's a delay in trans engaging- but I realize it may be loose rear sus parts or trans mounts etc. It doesn't do it when the trans/ vehicle is down shifting and coming to a stop. Maybe worn bushings? Splines on driveshaft?
Anyone know any tests ? Should I jack up the car and put it in nuetral to check for play in the driveshaft?

I think I may sound like I know what I'm doing but I'm not a full bore mechanic- just an "excellent driver" ( Rainman quote)
Old 05-13-2012, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Had the same problem and it turned out to be my tranny mount. Get down there and push up on the trans and see how much it moves
Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7

Check the drivers side motor mount. Put it in drive and give it gas with your foot on the brake. Have a friend look from the drivers side for the motor to lift about 2".
Old 05-14-2012, 03:39 PM

Thanks- I'm on it like flies on rice. I'll post what's up asap.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Ew, what kind of rice are you eating man?

Or do you mean white on rice?

Me is confused
Old 05-16-2012, 09:31 AM

regular rice. I'm searching all possibilities for the ole Cherokee. I have my main ride- my 012 Wrangler so the Cherokee is my extra ride for my daughter ( which I really wish it could be my band and errand and builder car).

I like to combine my sayings. Sometimes it's "like flies on rice" sometimes it's "does the Pope have a bear in the woods?",,, maybe : " like a monkey on a football" etc etc you know.

I used to be a truck driver instructor for awhile and that last one describes how some of the guys would shift gears in the big trucks.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I can almost guarantee you that it's your slip yoke.

Look at your drive shaft, toward the front of it. You see that rubber boot? That covers the slip yoke splines.

The slip yoke is made to move in and out of the output shaft on the transmission. When you accelerate, it moves out just slightly. When there's not enough grease, it kind of sticks, so when you take off, you're feeling the slip yoke unstick itself.

Remove that boot and slather a bunch of axle grease on the splines. Get the grease in there really good. Reinstall the boot.

The "thumping" will go away the next time you drive.

If I'm wrong, I'll be very surprised - this is an EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY common problem.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 AM

I read your post on the other thread about this problem. I need to go out and crawl under the CH and look at the boot you are talking about. I remember a boot under there from the last time I looked. The boot I'm talking about was not secure around the shaft and maybe ripped but not enough to come off. I'm wondering if I can rig it with some clamps after I grease it- I have the Haynes book on my car and they describe two different rear shafts- one is one piece and the other is two. So either way I need to familiarize myself with it. I'll post back if I have questions-- I appreciate the help.

Next will be getting my windows and door locks (electric) right- I saw the post about that too. There seems to be a problem only with the front pass side window. I need to find out if when I pop off the door panel whether or not I'm going to break or ruin any clips that hold it on. I've run across that problem before.

I notice a kind of whirling sound when my CH starts and runs. There are allot of CH's around here and I heard a guy start his CH (same as mine) and it made the same sound.
At the shop I went to they commented on the sound and were talking about the engine belt. I know they'd love to sell me one but mine looks okay to me. No cracks/dry rot etc and I believe it's a good style belt with a tread of sorts on the contact side of it .
Any ideas on the "whirling" sound? I was thinking about fan bearings.

Okay - 127K on my CH- I'm thinking about wheel bearings- new ones? Pack the ones that are on it? Thoughts?

The engine in my car seems to be very good. No tapping- it runs very nice and no smoking etc ( it's fuel injected) - it all seems pretty tight and has good power (in line 6)- However the oil pressure reads lower than it should. I'm thinking the age of the car the miles on it the wear and etc just has the guage reading a little to the left of what it should but the oil pressure is probably just fine. Any thoughts on that?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:46 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 77olds
I can almost guarantee you that it's your slip yoke.

Look at your drive shaft, toward the front of it. You see that rubber boot? That covers the slip yoke splines.

The slip yoke is made to move in and out of the output shaft on the transmission. When you accelerate, it moves out just slightly. When there's not enough grease, it kind of sticks, so when you take off, you're feeling the slip yoke unstick itself.

Remove that boot and slather a bunch of axle grease on the splines. Get the grease in there really good. Reinstall the boot.

The "thumping" will go away the next time you drive.

If I'm wrong, I'll be very surprised - this is an EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY common problem.
Im having the same problem it doesnt make a noise when i rev it in neutral but as soon as its in drive it makes a thumping or growling noise like its hitting something, but im definatly goin to try this first thing tomorow
Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 AM

I see the boot on the rear shaft. The clamps on the boot look like none I'm used to. I know about clamps and these look like if I pry them open I'll have to have replacement clamps. They look like they are tightened by pulling them with some pliers and then bending them to hold in place. How exactly would these clamps come off? I don't want to wreck the clamps if I don't have to.

I also greased the fitting on the front shaft. Is that what is under the boot on the rear shaft?? I need to be carefull doing this work because the car is a daily driver and needs to stay that. I can't have down time on it so I'm wanting to know exactly what I'm in for when working on it. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:44 PM

Engine: 4.0l

Had the same type of thumping noise and went with the transmission mount replacement. Those bolts are a #$$# to get out after 15 years. Sprayed break free down the frame for a few weeks and ended up breaking off 1 bolt. I replace the mount and that helped for a few months and heard the thump again.
After looking at the exaust, noticed the pipe was close to the cross member, which I figured the transmission mount would keep the pipe away from the frame.
I found after checking the pipe in front of the cross member and behind it, that my front mount before the cross member had rusted off. The welded 1/2 inch bar on the exaust pipe had broken off. I fabricated a new piece using 1/2 inch bar and a muffler clamp welded to it. I then connected the pipe to the rubber support and this kept the exaust pipe off the cross member frame.
My thumping noise went away.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

could also be a u joint
Old 05-28-2012, 06:49 PM

or a pinion bearing/nut backed off. If there's too much slop in the pinion gear, it'll thump off the line.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:50 PM

another thing to note, does it do it in first, more so than the other gears? If so, it could be that you're low on trans fluid, causing the torque converter to lag. remember to check the tranny fluid when warm
Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 PM

I realize that all of those seem like "simple things", but my time as a qc tech in electronics has taught me to start with the simple, small things, and work your way in from there.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain thump question