Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

driveshaft alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default driveshaft alignment?

Quick question, are the front and rear driveshafts parallel to the frame? I recently did a TC overhaul added a 1" TC drop to last till I get the time to do a SYE. Yes I know I should have done the SYE when I did the overhaul, but it wasn't in the funds at the time.

Problem is that I am now getting an odd noise when driving at any speed. It doesn't change if I have the TC in 2wd, 4 hi, or 4 low. On closer inspection it looks to me as if the driveshafts are shifted over about 1/2" from parallel, I haven't actually measured yet ran out of time today.

I just want to eliminate the simple fixes before I pull the TC out and dig into it to see if I messed up on the overhaul.

For the record it drives fine, fluid levels are good, it is just making some odd noises that weren't there before. It is also parked till I figure out what is going on, other than quick test drives after any adjustments I make.

Thanks for any constructive input.

Also it is lifted a bit, 4+ inches but the driveshaft thing should apply to an OEM XJ in my opinion.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Make sure that the mechanical fan is not touching your radiator (or anything else). Sometimes a TC drop can bring that on, especially if a thicker after-market radiator was in place. Keep in mind that your entire drive line is tilted a bit rearward now, so the bottom of the fan is a little closer to the radiator, and the top of the fan is a little further away from it.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Make sure that the mechanical fan is not touching your radiator (or anything else). Sometimes a TC drop can bring that on, especially if a thicker after-market radiator was in place. Keep in mind that your entire drive line is tilted a bit rearward now, so the bottom of the fan is a little closer to the radiator, and the top of the fan is a little further away from it.
The fan is clear of the rad. When I lifted it I had a bit of drive train vibration so I made a quick TC drop out of some scrap I had laying around. When I pulled the TC to do the overhaul I decided to make a new TC drop. I checked the clearance at that time and it was good.
I did have some troubles getting the cross member lined up again when I put everything back together. That is what led me to look at the drive shaft alignment.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

check motor mounts and u-joints.
it really shouldn't matter if the drive shafts are parallel, the u-joints will make up for that.
but since it's been lifted, the joints will now spin differently than what they were used to. so changing just the rear u-joints should fix that.

and i say motor mounts just because you had a hard time lining up the crossmember. but i've had trouble lining a few back up as well.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

With 4 1/2" of lift an SYE is a must my TC drop kit was not good enough. Also I had to use Adj. U/LCA's to set the tire in center of the wheel well, lowers and set the DS angle also with the upper's.

I did rebuild the front shaft and install a new rear and when I did these I installed new motor and trans mounts as they worn badly.