Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Drivers window

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Drivers window

Posted a while back about this but never fixed it because it was summer and who cares if the windows work during summer.

Originally I had the window stuck down and when I pressed the button all i would hear is clicking, as if something was slipping.
All other windows work from the drivers door master switch

But now I got a junkyard regulator/motor and installed it.
Now my window is stuck up and when i press the button i get nothing.

Could it be the master switch?
or maybe a bad junkyard regulator too?
Becasue if the old one was clicking it had to be getting some sort of response but now with the new motor regulator theres nothing.

Isnt there a way I can apply 12 volts to the wires and hotwire the motor up/down to make sure it is working

Thanks guys
Old 11-14-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Update: applied 12v using jumper cables and the battery and determined the new junkyard motor is no good... doesn't spin or make any noise

Took the old motor off the old regulator and applied 12v....the little sprocket spun fine....so it's slipping on the old regulator.

I then cleaned up the sprocket and regulator of all sorts of gunk reattached them and still the same slipping sprocket noise.

Then I decided to attach the old motor to the junkyard regulator, however there seems to be a little difference between the old motor and the junkyard motor, so it wasn't fitting perfectly, as I was tightening the 3 nuts I snapped the plastic on the regulator, went to try it anyways and voila the window rolled down perfectly by applying 12v using jumper cables.

Rolled it down all the way and it's slipping again and won't go up hahaha

Think it's a problem of the sprocket not staying aligned with the grooves on the regulator. Gonna try to superglue the cracked regulator later and try to see why the sprocket won't fit well in the junkyard regulator.

Also gonna go to the junkyard and return the good for nothing broken motor (30 day junkyard warranty 👍 )
Old 11-15-2016, 06:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I put a new one in my a year or two ago. Not too expensive, and no problems since then. I got a Dorman from Amazon. So far, so good.

Need to do the same on my other windows, now. They are obviously much slower going up and down.