Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Driveline Vibrations Caused by STOCK Sagging Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Driveline Vibrations Caused by STOCK Sagging Springs?

So I was just wondering whether or not the severe sagging of leaf springs could cause vibrations due to the driveline being angled too far from sagging springs rather than lifts? Like a reverse lift giving driveline vibrations? I have stock saggy springs and have vibrations under heavy acceleration, but when I accelerate around a corner where the body rolls a lot, the vibrations stop if the body is tilted enough (Like stretching the suspension back to original geometry for a second?) So my thinking is that if the vibrations stop when I hit a bump or hill/crown of the road at a turn, the weight from the body is transferred and compresses the springs less (at least on one side) and therefore, my driveline angle is momentarily corrected, and that's why I get no vibes on corners like these. Would I be right, then, in assuming, that new leaf springs would correct the vibes? I was worried that it might be u joints or something, but the vibes literally disappear when the springs are less compressed, so I thought that maybe new springs would solve my problem? Most driveline complaints I've seen have had to do with lift. I think mine's the opposite. Thoughts? It's a 2000 model year, which I've heard gets worse vibes than I think either pre-97s or Renixes. But yeah, just wondering what you all thought and if any of you have experienced vibes on stock or saggy springs. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter Inline 6

I would lean more towards u joints but let's let someone else chime in
Old 10-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Sounds like a bad case of axle wrap. The wrap causes the pinion to lift and that angle change could cause the vibrations under power.
New springs will solve that.
However it could be just a bad u-joint.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:30 PM

Ohh. That's what axle wrap feels like? I've heard of it when talking about blocks but never fully understood it. So now I know if its between springs and the u joint, it would be springs as they are sagging horribly... haha my friend in the back seat thought that we were rubbing the tires on the fenders when he felt the vibrations...But now can the sagging vibes hurt the u joint and make it worse as vibes would then come from axle wrap and u joint? Like could having vibes damage the u joint and make them worse? Thanks for the responses. I just never heard anyone mention vibes changing over body roll. And you can definitely feel the vibes start and stop as the body sways on tight turns at acceleration. Mainly coming from a side road at a stop, turning onto a 50mph road. The turn onto the main road they stop.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

A bad u-joint usually keeps getting worse.
A replacement should last a while but a widely varying pinion angle (axle wrap) will wear out the joint prematurely.
Your quote, "I just never heard anyone mention vibes changing over body roll".
Me either.
When u-joints are worn they are easy to spot when twisting on drive-shaft by hand. On level ground, wheels chocked and tranny in 'N'
Old 10-06-2013, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Has this vehicle ever had any type of maintenance or just filled with fuel & Jiffy lube?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Oh gosh I have no idea. We bought it with 170, 000 miles on it haha
Old 10-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Well I mean power steering stuff needed work recently and I think that had a related oil leak, so $700 later it drives...
Old 10-06-2013, 05:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

If springs are sagging bad enough it could be having same effect on angles as lifted springs do but the other direction...any pic of how bad they are.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:50 PM

There would be, but I dont have accounts on any picture sharing sites so I can't put the url here...

Driveline Vibrations Caused by STOCK Sagging Springs?-forumrunner_20131006_184916.jpg

Oh wait. Maybe I got it...as I was typing I was staring at the "attachments" button haha.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:52 PM

Slightly sloped driveway but you get the idea. It's too dark and my family would think I'm weird if I went out to get closer pics right now...They are indeed inverted, frowning, though, as in..."I wonder how they even compress without pulling inwardly more than the shackle allows..."
Old 10-06-2013, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Are they sagging worse than these ignore arrow got picture off interweb....
Attached Thumbnails Driveline Vibrations Caused by STOCK Sagging Springs?-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 10-06-2013, 06:50 PM

Probably equal, maybe sagging a tiny bit more. One leaf in the center of the pack has actually snapped (Yes, I'm gonna replace them...Stupid high school budget). On the bright side I don't have as much rust as that pic, especially good for New England!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: Inline Six

I dont know much about the sagging springs, but that sounds like it could be a bad U-joint like what is stated above. I just got done replacing my rear drive line U-joints. One was on the verge of shearing a cap. Id replace those springs, but maybe to make sure your drive line doesn't have any issues, check its U-joints. It takes a couple minutes and can save you form being stranded.

Good Luck!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:39 PM

Other thing is, I'm thinking that when I replace the leaf packs, I'll get 1 or 2-inch lift ones (HD or OME 2") and coil spacers, and was wondering...everyone says that cheap shocks will make the ride worse. I don't mind where the ride's at now, so how much worse would cheap shocks make it compared to ORIGINAL stock 14-year-old leaf packs, coils, and rusty shocks? It rides fine now (imo haha) but would I be right to assume that a combination of new cheapo twin tubes plus brand new leaf packs and coil spacers would ride at least the same if not better?

Quick Reply: Driveline Vibrations Caused by STOCK Sagging Springs?