Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

drive shaft length slip yoke question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default drive shaft length slip yoke question w/10in lift HELP!!

Going to JK for a drive shaft so I can try to sell my 96 xj w/10in lift...

I have a 96 m/t XJ with a 10 inch lift I know I should have a SYE but just trying to sell it not put money in it. It had a rear shaft in it but I lost it in 3ft of mud when all the cap bolts broke, now I am not sure what shaft to get and don't know how to measure it for proper length with the slip yoke? Thinking a stock ZJ would work BUT NOT SURE WHERE THE SLIP YOKE SHOULD BE WHEN SITTING LEVEL ON THE GROUND WITH A 10IN LIFT ??????????

I am thinking it should be around half way in??

Last edited by turbodmax; 09-12-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:52 AM

No one has any idea???????? waiting for a answer before I take the trip to the JY and get one to long/short please anyone take a guess at least LOL
Old 09-12-2009, 06:32 PM

wtf

guess I will go half way and if it falls out I need to buy another one that is longer.
Also I will use trial and error next time rather than post questions here I think LOL
Old 09-12-2009, 07:12 PM

Year: 98

Dude,,,,,,yer askin us, to tell you how to band-aid an XJ...that is way blown out of proportion....so you can dump it on some unsuspecting big eyed kid???
Yer just not gonna find too many folks here that are gonna want to help you out......
First off....if you really have 10" of lift......which by any stretch of the imagination would require MASSIVE mods over a stock vehicle...and you can't figure out how long your driveshaft should be???? DUDE.....6" ago you should have known what your driveshaft length should be.....and so on and so on....
I'm not being nasty......just amazed at how you could come to this site, and think that you could make a pitch like that, among XJ purists....and think for a second that we would help you.....sorry.....YOU are what we AREN'T
Old 09-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by TrapperScott1211
Dude,,,,,,yer askin us, to tell you how to band-aid an XJ...that is way blown out of proportion....so you can dump it on some unsuspecting big eyed kid???
Yer just not gonna find too many folks here that are gonna want to help you out......
First off....if you really have 10" of lift......which by any stretch of the imagination would require MASSIVE mods over a stock vehicle...and you can't figure out how long your driveshaft should be???? DUDE.....6" ago you should have known what your driveshaft length should be.....and so on and so on....
I'm not being nasty......just amazed at how you could come to this site, and think that you could make a pitch like that, among XJ purists....and think for a second that we would help you.....sorry.....YOU are what we AREN'T
i argree, you should know everything there is about xjs inside and out to have ten inches of lift with 38s
Old 09-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

you mean it actully drove with a stock shaft with 10"of lift?????? woa i would love to see pics
Old 09-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by shawnmf
you mean it actully drove with a stock shaft with 10"of lift?????? woa i would love to see pics
its possible, my cousin doing it, lowered motor mounts and transfer case drop
Old 09-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default oh...

srry...
Old 09-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by shawnmf
srry...
Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 AM

Well there scotty I put that last line in there b/c I knew someone would have to say something, did you not notice how every one has looked and said nothing it is the weekend I was looking for some info that is not on this site!! I have spent hours looking for it so I put that last line just to GET SOMEONE TO SAY SOMETHING even if they were wrong I wantted to open this question up so someone may correct them with the right answer.

1) For the big eyed kid, I am not looking to beat some kid out of his life savings but on the other hand I am not going to give a list of parts it needs to be unbreakable yeah you need SYE,chromo shafts, gear set's, lockers, hydro steer ect, ect. I am trying to get a shaft in it so it can be driven like the 30 no trouble miles I have put on it off road with what I belive was a grand cherokee DS 34in's WITH A SLIP YOKE.

Originally Posted by Cherokee 4.0
i argree, you should know everything there is about xjs inside and out to have ten inches of lift with 38s
2) It is called craigslist ebay and many more you can actually buy a built jeep LOL
So me knowing everything about xj's is alittle off when I just bought two built xj's this summer b/c I am not a dumb dumb and buy something someone has $5000 and many hours in for $3000 it's called smarts

I would go on about you scotty but I did ask for it with that post to get you talking but just so you know I'm a good person thank you, I would never take advantage of ANYONE let alone any young kids thanks for the harsh accusations.

For all else who looked or even agree Thank you for looking I will post pics of the shaft installed for all, with the assumed proper slip yoke depth and DS length for a 10 inch lift XJ and a 8.25 rear with all stock JEEP parts other than the lift and steering parts thanks
Old 09-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

2) It is called craigslist ebay and many more you can actually buy a built jeep LOL
So me knowing everything about xj's is alittle off when I just bought two built xj's this summer b/c I am not a dumb dumb and buy something someone has $5000 and many hours in for $3000 it's called smarts

buying someone elses junk isnt smarts....its dumb. how you gonna trust anything that is installed on that thing.....and if you can afford all those cars, why not just put a SYE on it and sell it for a little more? i bet someone would pay more for a jeep that drives over one thats a huge driveway princess....i know which jeep not to buy now!!

how did you expect not to get flamed asking how to rig your jeep to sell it?

Last edited by xjbones; 09-13-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 AM

Brrr. It's cold in here.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:16 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

I don't usually step into threads like this since it's not totally out of hand but... To the OP all I can say is chill out and settle down. Your attitude will not get you any help around here. In fact I personally would just assume you go ahead and walk out that exit door.

When you post a thread like previously mentions to bandaid fix something just to sell it to some poor unsuspecting purchaser you are not only an idiot but your ethics as a human being come into suspect. Your situation is why I tell anyone I talk to to buy a stock rig and build it right instead of buying someones crap they patched together just to sell.

Anyways bottom line chill the attitude or get out.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:43 PM

WOW ok thanks

This keep's coming back up A it is not junk it is way better than 90% of the jeeps on here any way not my point my point is that b/c this jeep does not have a SYE it is not junk I have drove it all over had great times 4x4 and works fine not sure what your guys deal is with it being junk for real my other jeep is far far from junk and this one is not to far behind ther than dana 44's and a sye. This is not band aid I would never figure a stock yoke to hold while turn'in the 38" boggers at 5000 RPM's in a mud hole but guess what like many others I have talked to a raush creek off road park running 38's w/ a dana 30 and 35 ok so my jeep will wheel when I put in a shaft for many miles could it use a sye yes but I am not investing any more to sell it just trying to get 2500 rather than asking 2000 for a jeep that does not turn the rear wheels and as for junk

10in lift = 8in springs 2in blocks and spacers
All new just bolted shocks braided brake lines 6in tack sparco race seats 38 in boggers 1 1/4 s.s steering rods A huge clean looking custom winch bumper and winch and 5speed with 100k came from Florida so no rust oh yeah new clutch SORRY THAT IS WHAT JUNK IS ON THIS FORUM TRUST ME I WOULD NEVER SELL IT ON HERE B/C I WILL NEVER BE BACK THANKS ALL.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Well, 90% of the jeeps on here run and drive safely. You can put a necklace on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Bye.

Quick Reply: drive shaft length slip yoke question