Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door Check Mystery - it keeps breaking!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L
Default Door Check Mystery - it keeps breaking!

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my driver's side door check. When I purchased my lil Waggie the driver's side door check was broken so my door would just swing in the wind - very annoying. I finally realized that the door check mounting itself had torn through the sheet metal and was just dangling (broken) in the door, secured by the arm that mounts to the body.

That said, I purchased the replacement Dorman 924-148 Door Check mechanism, repaired the sheet metal, and installed the new one. Worked perfectly and I had no problems for several weeks. Then one day when I'm closing the door "pop" and I'm back to swinging in the wind again. I thought perhaps the door had torn again, but the actual check itself had popped.

After reaching out to the forum guru, Cruiser54, he asked me if I had greased it up, which, of course stupidly I had not, he informed me that that was likely my issue. Dang.

Ok, well fast forward to getting the warrantied replacement in the mail (no instructions stating that it needs to be greased), I promptly greased the sucker up and installed it once again. Back to working again!

That is until a couple of days ago. This time there was no pop or anything, but the door check is definitely broken again. I have *no idea* what I'm doing wrong. It's not like this is some kind of complicated install. It's two 10mm nuts and a single push pin.

I really can't fathom why I'm having problems with just this single door and door check and would sincerely appreciate any assistance that anyone could offer!

Thank you,

-Matt
Old 01-27-2017, 06:36 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Where does it break exactly?
Old 01-28-2017, 07:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Where does it break exactly?
the mechanism itself. First time the roll pin popped out. I haven't removed the second one yet, but based on how it's hanging I'd assume some sort of similar failure. So 2 Dorman pieces and 1 OEM piece broken.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Door check

So I had a similar problem. Got the Jeep, check broken in the door. Got one from the junkyard, tossed it in, broke again. This time I looked at the alignment of the door and realized that the hinges were not true. I adjusted the hinges and ordered yet another check and put it in...all good. I think when it gets out of alignment the check just gives way BC something has to when you close the door.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Some pictures would help.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Rgniady81
So I had a similar problem. Got the Jeep, check broken in the door. Got one from the junkyard, tossed it in, broke again. This time I looked at the alignment of the door and realized that the hinges were not true. I adjusted the hinges and ordered yet another check and put it in...all good. I think when it gets out of alignment the check just gives way BC something has to when you close the door.
Thanks for the feed back. That would make sense, though my door closes fine and lines up well. I'll definitely check it out tomorrow morning and see if that is a possibility though...

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Some pictures would help.
Sure thing, I'll post some up tomorrow!
Old 01-28-2017, 07:33 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by MayerMR
the mechanism itself. First time the roll pin popped out. I haven't removed the second one yet, but based on how it's hanging I'd assume some sort of similar failure. So 2 Dorman pieces and 1 OEM piece broken.
Having dealt with this before, I'm suspecting some flexing in the repaired area.
I sandwiched a donor piece of sheet metal from a spare door and have been fine.