Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door Check Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Door Check Issue

I have a 2000 Cherokee with a driver door problem. I've replaced the door check and pins a couple times. The new one works great for awhile then over time (the last one I installed lasted a couple months), the spring in the door check seems to stiffen up or something is binding and eventually the door pin breaks. Maybe the door is out of alignment, but not sure as it closes fine and looks like it's lined up with closed.

I've tried two different places, Rock Auto and 1A Auto to get them. I thought spending more at 1A might help, but it was the last one I tried.

https://www.1aauto.com/jeep-door-che...8/i/dmdmx00008

Anyone else experience this?
Old 09-29-2017, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I replaced both front door ones in my '00 not to long ago. I bought Mopar ones. Thinking the door check, pin, and bracket ran me about $83 for each side. So far so good. Wondering if it is like buying aftermarket oil pressure sending units instead of Mopar ones. Did you replace the bracket too?
Old 09-29-2017, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

When I bought my 2 door the driver side was broke apart and the passenger side was very stiff and it would pop really loud. after reading alot of bad reviews about aftermarket replacements i decided to spend $2 and 5 minutes each and buy a handful of used ones from a local junkyard. i greased the heck out of them then installed them and then open and close the doors a bunch of times then grease the heck out of them again then open and close them again. each time it seemed to suck the grease in and they got smoother and smoother

i used the same trick on my old 310k mile civic and it kept them moving free for years
Old 09-29-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

there are door checks and door pins. Open the door slowly and see if the door drops a little. If this happens, you need to replace your door pins. I have had to do this on 5 XJ's(common problem) I have had to replace 2 door checks total in 7 XJ's over a 17 year period. let me ad 1 thing.(the above comments are for 97-01 XJ's. early XJ's had numerous door bracket problems.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback! The first time I replaced just the door check and the pin in the bracket. After that broke I ordered a different type of door check, pin and also the bracket. It lasted a couple months.

I'll have to check for door drop, buy Mopar and grease.