Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dome lights always on troubleshooting help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Dome lights always on troubleshooting help?

So I've done a good amount of work on my Cherokee this summer. I recently installed a 4.5" RC lift kit, it took about a week with work and everything but at the end when I tried to start it the battery was dead. After jumping it I realized the dome lights would not turn off. I did a quick search on some forums to see common problems and did a good amount of troubleshooting myself but I still have no hints as to what it might be.
  • Ive pressed all the door jamb switches manually, none of them turn the light off.
  • Ive taken all the door jamb switches out and tested the contacts with a multimeter and they all seem to be working.
  • Ive taken the rear latch apart and tested that switch, plus the rear door has its own indicator on the dash. Its not the trunk latch.
  • Ive made sure the lights weren't manually turned on.
I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd appreciate any ideas though.

Random Information:
  • About two months ago I installed a 500w subwoofer (I know the radio and lights are on the same fuse)
  • Before they were rendered permanently on, the lights would occasionally come on when I accelerated, it became more frequent until it progressed to always on.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"the lights would occasionally come on when I accelerated"

Any chance you ran a screw through a wire some where? Are the lights still "ON" when you unplug the headlight switch?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Rear dome light push on it ive heard some have a switch in there.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
"the lights would occasionally come on when I accelerated"

Any chance you ran a screw through a wire some where? Are the lights still "ON" when you unplug the headlight switch?
I guess that's always possible ill try this today
Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

What year Cherokee?

This happened on my '98 one time. I pulled the fuse for it to check it, and then replaced it, and it has been fine ever since. Pretty strange, but my next course of action was to check the headlight delay module. That might be worth a look too.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by dvdavidvgt
I guess that's always possible ill try this today
Well I this and the lights stlil stay on. I simply removed the headlight switch and unplugged it though, I didnt try anything else.
Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
What year Cherokee?

This happened on my '98 one time. I pulled the fuse for it to check it, and then replaced it, and it has been fine ever since. Pretty strange, but my next course of action was to check the headlight delay module. That might be worth a look too.
My Cherokee is a '98 Limited. Did you pull the fuse in the engine compartment or the fuse in the passenger foot area? Also is the headlight delay module connected to the interior lights? The interior lights have never delayed turning off once I close the doors.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Rear dome light push on it ive heard some have a switch in there.
Does the switch turn all of the lights on?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Well I this and the lights stlil stay on. I simply removed the headlight switch and unplugged it though, I didnt try anything else.

My Cherokee is a '98 Limited. Did you pull the fuse in the engine compartment or the fuse in the passenger foot area? Also is the headlight delay module connected to the interior lights? The interior lights have never delayed turning off once I close the doors.
I pulled the fuse in the passenger foot area. #9, if my memory serves correctly. From my understanding of the HDM, if you shut the ignition off before turning off your headlights, they will stay on for a short time, as well as your interior lights, after you exit the vehicle. I can't seem to find where the module is located on 97+ models, however...
Old 08-20-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
I pulled the fuse in the passenger foot area. #9, if my memory serves correctly. From my understanding of the HDM, if you shut the ignition off before turning off your headlights, they will stay on for a short time, as well as your interior lights, after you exit the vehicle. I can't seem to find where the module is located on 97+ models, however...
I tried removing this fuse and replacing it but it didn't fix it. As far as I can remember the headlight delay only keeps the headlights on, not the interior lights. It might also be worth noting that the floor lights stay on as well as the dome lights (all the interior lights).
Old 08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Another item that could be causing this is the keyless entry module located in the dome light. When you hit unlock on the remote, it will leave the interior lights on for about 30 seconds.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Does the switch turn all of the lights on?
Not sure never had one...
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

So I've done a good amount of work on my Cherokee this summer. I recently installed a 4.5" RC lift kit, it took about a week with work and everything but at the end when I tried to start it the battery was dead. After jumping it I realized the dome lights would not turn off. I did a quick search on some forums to see common problems and did a good amount of troubleshooting myself but I still have no hints as to what it might be.
  • Ive pressed all the door jamb switches manually, none of them turn the light off.
  • Ive taken all the door jamb switches out and tested the contacts with a multimeter and they all seem to be working.
  • Ive taken the rear latch apart and tested that switch, plus the rear door has its own indicator on the dash. Its not the trunk latch.
  • Ive made sure the lights weren't manually turned on.
I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd appreciate any ideas though.

Random Information:
  • About two months ago I installed a 500w subwoofer (I know the radio and lights are on the same fuse)
  • Before they were rendered permanently on, the lights would occasionally come on when I accelerated, it became more frequent until it progressed to always on.
Did the light issue start right after stero install ?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

B4 this issue did light come on when hatch was opened ? Maybe hatch is moving just enough to activate its switch ...or just disconnect the wiring to it.

Last edited by freegdr; 08-20-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/x...epair-1483801/
Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Did the light issue start right after stero install ?
Yeah it did, im not sure it was right after though. I visually checked to see which wires run behind my sub box because i thought maybe they were being pinched but only the wiper and the tag light run down that side of the car from what I can tell.

Quick Reply: Dome lights always on troubleshooting help?