Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dome light issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Dome light issues.

So, I noticed that my interior dome lights don't work. The relay is powering everything else it should be. Is there another fuse or something for them? All the other lights work (gauges, glove box light, the mirror lights etc....). Or could it be all the bulbs are just burnt out. 97 XJ country edition.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Do they not work when you open the door? All doors? Or when you press the on/off switch?
I know on mine (1993) the only light that comes on when the doors are opened is the hatch area, and it doesn't do it with the driver's side rear because the switch is bad. It will also turn on is I turn the headlight switch **** all the way until it clicks. All of the other lights have to be turned on by pressing the on/off on each of them.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Scott91370
Do they not work when you open the door? All doors? Or when you press the on/off switch?
I know on mine (1993) the only light that comes on when the doors are opened is the hatch area, and it doesn't do it with the driver's side rear because the switch is bad. It will also turn on is I turn the headlight switch **** all the way until it clicks. All of the other lights have to be turned on by pressing the on/off on each of them.
Nah, they don't do anything at all.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:35 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

I'm not sure about your newer model, but my 1992 was easy to remove the overhead console so that I could test voltage for the lights.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 92

on my 92, the dome light and radio operate off the same fuse. i'm chasing a short now. when i put a new fuse in, everything works for about 15 min. then the dome light goes out and when i turn the key off and turn it back on, the radio is off channel just like i disconnected the battery. to cold to fool with it now, i'll take the dome light fixture apart and look for a short.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:40 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

Originally Posted by smooth move
on my 92, the dome light and radio operate off the same fuse. i'm chasing a short now. when i put a new fuse in, everything works for about 15 min. then the dome light goes out and when i turn the key off and turn it back on, the radio is off channel just like i disconnected the battery. to cold to fool with it now, i'll take the dome light fixture apart and look for a short.
I'm in the exact same spot. I have reconnected about every wire on the harness under the feet because of wear. I still have a short to ground somehow when I have everything connected and hit the passenger lock. Let me know when you solve yours what is was.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 92

i'm going to drop the dome light fixture and check for corrosion. i had a roof leak where the stock roof rack rubber strips attached to the roof. rusted through. i think maybe water got to the fixture and caused problems. last season(it's a hunting rig) i had to go through a really bad section of flooded timber with mud and ruts. when i made it out, i had no gauges at all. found a gauge fuse in the under dash fuse box and replaced to fix the problem. while i was upside down in there, i checked the entire fuse box for a short and everything looked good, so i'm thinking it's got to be the dome light.