Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

does this look right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default does this look right?

so i finally got the used car lot i bought my jeep at agree to fix some of the leaks that have been going on since i bought it. they supposedly replaced the valve cover gasket, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, front pinion seal (i think thats what he said, not too familiar with 4x4's yet).
i am not sure if they actually did what they said or not since ive never trusted them. it seems like they did at least remove the valve cover because the cruise control thats normally mounted on it wasnt attached when i got it back, so i am assuming they actually did replace the gasket. the other things though i dont know how to tell. besides obviously watching to see if they are still leaking after a couple days.
when i was checking around to see if there was anything noticeable, i saw this:

is that little gap okay? i dont know if i am only noticing it now out of paranoia, but just wanted to know. to help get your bearings, its right above the starter (which i think they mightve replaced for good measure, it seems hella clean compared to the rest, and all the bolts/terminals are corrosion free)

also, in regards to the front pinion seal (think that is what he said, like i said im not too knowledgeable about 4x4 parts yet), i was looking at it and it does look like they replaced it, but maybe forgot to seal it up? it just seems kind of exposed.

is that how it is supposed to look? thanks all.

Last edited by eignub; 11-10-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.6L Stroked

Yes that is how the seal is supposed to look. They are exposed on the outside but seals on the inside. Now the bellhousing cover looks to be welded together underneath that gap, like it was cut or something. Can't really see it very good in the picture. Maybe that is just grease that I'm seeing. But seems to be off if that gap is there.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by cliffpenick
Yes that is how the seal is supposed to look. They are exposed on the outside but seals on the inside. Now the bellhousing cover looks to be welded together underneath that gap, like it was cut or something. Can't really see it very good in the picture. Maybe that is just grease that I'm seeing. But seems to be off if that gap is there.
ill try to get a better picture of the bellhousing cover during the day, i didnt get home until after dark. i think it was just grease, but ill try to find out for sure. thanks for the prompt response. at least knowing the seal is supposed to look like that will help me sleep better lol.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:50 AM

i wasnt able to get a better pic today due to work. anyone else got any input on the gap?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:47 PM

i tried to get a better picture of the gap today. everything under the hood seems kosher so far. spent a good part of the day cleaning out the engine bay and wiping down the diffs, oil pan, and transmission pan. this way i will be able to see if there are any more leaks after they were all supposedly repaired.

i do have a good feeling about the oil pan gasket being replaced also now. when i was under it cleaning, i found there was a new plug and gasket on it, and new oil when i was checking the level.

also, i had mentioned i think they replaced the starter, but wasnt sure. i snapped a pic of it today because it seems too clean and nice compared to the rest. would you all say its probably new also?

the dealership must not want another complaint filed with the BBB.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I think it's fine. The lower half of that "dust cover" comes off....actually mine has been off a few years, I might have lost it. It just keeps rocks and stix and gerbils out out the bell housing...

Btw, watch for a leaking oil filter adapter mimicking a leaking rear main seal, (since oil can blow back and drip from there)

Last edited by DFlintstone; 11-13-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I think it's fine. The lower half of that "dust cover" comes off....actually mine has been off a few years, I might have lost it. It just keeps rocks and stix and gerbils out out the bell housing...

Btw, watch for a leaking oil filter adapter mimicking a leaking rear main seal, (since oil can blow back and drip from there)
i did ask them to replace the orings on the filter adapter, but i dont think they did that one. but at least i got the big ones done. would autozone/ oriellys be the best place to get the kit for the adapter, or go to a dealership to buy it?