Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Do you need dash kit for aftearket cd player

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need dash kit for aftearket cd player

Was wondering on a 95 Cherokee If you needed a dash bezel kit to instal around the CD player? If I remember correct you just mount it to factory radio mount bracket and you don't even need the metal sleeve on new CD player correct because you just screw into it?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I didn't. Mine is using just the metal sleeve that came with the radio. Didn't have an option to use the factory bracket, since mine had an aftermarket radio when I bought it..
Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Did you use wiring adapter for jeep or straight hardwire it in
Old 02-22-2014, 11:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Originally Posted by tssguy123
I didn't. Mine is using just the metal sleeve that came with the radio. Didn't have an option to use the factory bracket, since mine had an aftermarket radio when I bought it..
That's strange, on my '91 I needed one of the plastic surrounds that attaches to the metal sleeve
Old 02-22-2014, 11:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Were did u get the plastic surround piece
Old 02-22-2014, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

I would recommend the harness adaptor, they will make your life easier especially if you replace it again in the future (not all aftermarket radios use the same plug) and allows you to go back to the factory radio if necessary (if you ever sell it).

I made some brackets (mounting "ears"/"L-brackets") from 20 ga. sheet steel I had laying around to screw into the side of the radio and to the holes in the dash and they have worked better than anything else I tried. I tried two different "plastic ring" dash kits and both sucked, the first one was left from the previous owner (my XJ had an aftermarket radio when I bought it but that radio was an older model without features I wanted such as USB, AUX, etc.) which fit poorly and was loose the second came with my new head unit (I ordered from Crutchfield and they include harness plugs and a mounting kit if your order is over a certain amount) and it fit but one of the plastic "ears" that held it to the dash broke off after a couple months. The metal ears I made on the other hand fit perfectly and are plenty solid (after all this is how the factory radio was mounted on 96 and older XJs, 97+ models will require some kind of dash kit or custom spacer since their OE radios are larger than standard DIN and will leave a void above/below)
Old 02-22-2014, 11:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jonwalden68
Were did u get the plastic surround piece
Mine came with the Jeep as it already had an aftermarket stereo. I believe theyre available through Metra. It'll probably have multiple tabs that need to be broken off depending on where your mounting holes are.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dmill89
I would recommend the harness adaptor, they will make your life easier especially if you replace it again in the future (not all aftermarket radios use the same plug) and allows you to go back to the factory radio if necessary (if you ever sell it).

I made some brackets (mounting "ears"/"L-brackets") from 20 ga. sheet steel I had laying around to screw into the side of the radio and to the holes in the dash and they have worked better than anything else I tried. I tried two different "plastic ring" dash kits and both sucked, the first one was left from the previous owner (my XJ had an aftermarket radio when I bought it but that radio was an older model without features I wanted such as USB, AUX, etc.) which fit poorly and was loose the second came with my new head unit (I ordered from Crutchfield and they include harness plugs and a mounting kit if your order is over a certain amount) and it fit but one of the plastic "ears" that held it to the dash broke off after a couple months. The metal ears I made on the other hand fit perfectly and are plenty solid (after all this is how the factory radio was mounted on 96 and older XJs, 97+ models will require some kind of dash kit or custom spacer since their OE radios are larger than standard DIN and will leave a void above/below)
This is an excellent idea! Every time I had to mess with my stereo I'd break those plastic ears and I'd have to super glue them back on. Once it warms up a little bit I'll be doing this mod!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:34 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Definitely get the wiring harness, as previously mentioned it saves time and hassle. I re-used the factory radio bracket, and I can't see the universal sleeve working better than the bracket. I just needed to drill two holes in the bracket, I believe. The screws from the factory radio threaded into the new Alpine unit. I just used the bezel that came with the head unit, and it looked clean and complete- no need for a separate dash kit, at least with older model XJ's.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by ThatDude114
Mine came with the Jeep as it already had an aftermarket stereo. I believe theyre available through Metra. It'll probably have multiple tabs that need to be broken off depending on where your mounting holes are.
You can get them just about anywhere that sells aftermarket radios, Crutchfield will include them (and the wiring plugs) for free if you buy a radio that is over a certain price (it varies at any given time but is usually some-ware between $100 and $150, look for "free installation gear" in the special offer box).

Again I personally recommend simple home made metal "L-brackets"/"Mounting" ears or re-using the factory brackets (if you have them, can remove them without damage, and they fit your replacement radio properly) based on my experience (others may have had better luck than me with these) with these mounting rings on XJs. I've had better experience with dash kits on other vehicles that did not have a standard DIN opening, but the rings for standard DIN openings (what the 96 and older XJs have, and what most aftermarket radios are meant to fit by default) are too thin and tend to either not fit correctly or be flimsy and prone to breaking.

Last edited by dmill89; 02-22-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Seasoned Member

I think I'm gonna try to use the factory metal one to hold it in and if it don't fit we're the holes in the factory metal bracket just drill new holes I just haven't found a mounting kit that looks like it fit good. I paid one time to have professional installed and they used the factory one and made it look good but I just don't want to pay someone to do something I know I can do plus I'm putting a cheap CD player in for now till I fix my rocker panels always a project but I'd rather have a project a
Old 02-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm having a hard time finding the right wiring harness locally do you have any part numbers for them
Old 02-23-2014, 06:00 PM

I'm having a hard time finding the right wiring harness locally do you have any part numbers for them
Metra P/N: 70-1002
Old 02-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Will the universal one woek from Walmart or has the correct plug but a lot of wires
Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 PM

Will the universal one woek from Walmart or has the correct plug but a lot of wires
The Metra (and similar) is a OE plug to stripped wires to which you splice your radio-specific harness to (you can use crimps but soldering is better). I'm not sure exactly what your Wal-Mart has (their car stereo/accessories seem to very store to store) but I would guess that it is similar to the Metra. The item you want to look for lists as for "select 1988-96 Jeep, Eagle, and Dodge vehicles" and should list the Jeep Cherokee on the package. If your Wal-Mart doesn't have a very large car-stereo section it may not have plugs for older vehicles such as your XJ.

How the "harnesses"/plugs are sold varies, the OE plug to stripped wires is usually the most cost effective and generally the most common. Some harnesses are an OE plug to an "intermediate" plug and them you buy a harness for your specific brand radio that is the radio specific plug (different brands of aftermarket radios use different plugs) to the "intermediate" plug, these cost more since you have to buy two harnesses and are bulky due to this "intermediate" plug but you won't have to splice any wires with these. The third option is the OE vehicle specific plug to your aftermarket radio specific plug, but these are usually only available special-order/online and tend to be the most expensive.

Quick Reply: Do you need dash kit for aftearket cd player