Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Distributor Timing Issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Distributor Timing Issue.

Hey all let me first thank anyone in advance that is willing enough to post on this thread and try to help out.

So the issue that i have right now is timing the distributor. The distributor wants to land about a 1/4” off every time. Let me explain. So first off i will tell everyone what i have done to get it timed to this point so far “as i dont think this is going to be a simple fix”. So I have set my HB to 0° while the number one piston is on TDC conpression stroke. I then set the oil pump slot to about 11o’clock and align the cam sensor to the correct indexing hole. I drop the distributor in and it will land about a 1/4” off no matter what advanced or retarded. I have found two other threads on the net explaining the same issue as well as a video. I will post all those links so there is better explanation.

Example Post 1
Example Post 2

so now that i hope you all understand the issue im experxiecing let me give you all the info i have.

The engine is originally out of a 92 Cherokee. I swapped it into a 97 cherokee ran great and then the timing chain snapped. I replaced the timing chain and got it running with backfiring/timing issues. Took it to my personal mechanic and he told me he had to adjust the distributor timing by about 3° and it had ran fine ever sense. I just recently swapped this same motor into my 98 cherokee. I had to swap the distibutor so that the cam sensor would work with my new wiring harness. Like a bafoon i did not mark my distributor before removing it. So now i am experiencing the issue explained above. I have ran it with the cam sensor advanced about a 1/4” and retarted a 1/4” and it ran both ways but will backfire in higher rpms and lacks power. It will stop running after about half an hour of run time also. I have also tried to do it 180° out just to be safe both being advanced and retarted on the cam sensor also. “When i say cam sensor im really talking about the white pickup ring with holes that is located underneath the cam sensor” i have tried everything. If i try to get the pickup holes ro align correctly like the books call for i can but the hold down clamp on the distinutor does not align with the bolt hole. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Take a long screwdriver and position the slot in the oil pump to 11 o'clock, and try again. If you dont get it right the first time, keep turning the slot in the oil pump until you do. The distributor will want to land in whatever position that slot is in. If its off, the distributor wont land where it needs to be. There are holes next to the pulse ring to hold the distributor body and shaft steady for this very reason. One is for the 4.0L, and one is for the 2.5L.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/d...ssues-3200865/ Post #3

Last edited by fb97xj1; 05-17-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:40 AM

Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Take a long screwdriver and position the slot in the oil pump to 11 o'clock, and try again. If you dont get it right the first time, keep turning the slot in the oil pump until you do. The distributor will want to land in whatever position that slot is in. If its off, the distributor wont land where it needs to be. There are holes next to the pulse ring to hold the distributor body and shaft steady for this very reason. One is for the 4.0L, and one is for the 2.5L.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/d...ssues-3200865/ Post #3

I appreciate your help, although i have very much tried literally now over 100 times of dropping it in. No matter what it will land one tooth off advanced or retarted by one. Im starting to think that possibly it has worked fine advanced by one tooth and that my issue lies somewhere else. Ill post on this thread oncd i have it figured out. Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:09 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by NMJeep01

I appreciate your help, although i have very much tried literally now over 100 times of dropping it in. No matter what it will land one tooth off advanced or retarted by one. Im starting to think that possibly it has worked fine advanced by one tooth and that my issue lies somewhere else. Ill post on this thread oncd i have it figured out. Thanks again.
The distributor is for anything 94 or newer you have to get a distributor for a 1993-1991 two different distributors for those years
Old 03-12-2020, 06:26 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I swapped a 96 4.0 in my 99 XJ. I swapped everything over, and had a bear of a time getting the distributor to want to land on the right spot. What I found was that the helical gear required me to gently lower the distributor slightly more counter clockwise than I expected. Then, when it meshed with the cam gear it would naturally “turn” the whole distributor to the right spot. When I got it right it fell right into place, super easy and right on the money as far as alignment with the markings and the hole in the hold down clip.

Bottom line, try lowering the distributor turned just a bit further counterclockwise than you’d expect, it just might plop right into place! If you find it seeming to line up as it should, but won’t drop in all the way, that means you have to tweak the oil pump slot a little to get that lined up. It’s a PITA, but take a breath and patiently go at it....you’ll get it.
The following users liked this post:
cruiser54 (03-13-2020)