Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Disassemble Factory Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Disassemble Factory Fog Lights

So maybe i'm dense but i Just realized that the factory fogs take a replaceable h3 bulb. I was under the impression they where like some kind of sealed beam that when blew Just needed replaced.

So after i took the bulb cover off the back of the fog i have that is blown, i see how rusted it is inside. Im wondering, is there a way to, say, dissasemble the entire housing, like pull the lens off the front, so that i can clean everything out, clean the glass, and then seal it back together to try and get them to work? Im down for saving money!

On that same note, what are the stock H3s rated at? 35w? 55w? I hear they are crappy lights anyway, but if i replaced the bulbs with say 55w yellow Hellas, would they improve noticeably?
Old 10-15-2017, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I want to say I read somewhere that they are 55w. But I don't know if that is the ones in a '97 and up or '96 and down or both.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

Should be a regular H3-55w bulb, IIRC.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Thanks guys, i figured it was one or the other in terms of wattage.
What replacement bulb would give the best results in that housing, do you figure? a yellow 55w?

As for actual dissasembly, if this one is toast anyway im thinking i might see if i can tear it apart anyway, for science's sake. maybe heat up the sealing material around the lense and then see if i can pry it off. if i can, see if i can clean it out, polish the glass to be cleaer again and try to re-seal with a caulk of some kind. If that is all possible, at least ill know it can be donw and post the pics here.