Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Diff Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Default Diff Questions

Well i've been wheeling hard alot lately with my rig. Its a stock 2wd 2001 4dr. the only thing it really has for offroading is recovery points, limited slip, and good tires.

Well i believe my limited slip is fried. Before it did just fine although going around some corners it felt like the axle either binded up or was grinding. went wheeling Sat and things just felt really wierd during and after the trip. But later that night went to a party and decided to climb my buddies front yard landscape (stepcase of cinderblocks) just to see what kind of articulation i could get. Well i get to the 3rd step and i cant quite get up the last one. and whats strange was when i tried only one tire would spin and all i would hear is a clicking sound out of the other. And from there when i put it in reverse it wouldnt go backwards. so we had to push it back onto the street.

So i take this as a bad sign. i figured low oil level. So i open the plug up to add stuff and this mud brown color oil just starts to drain out. WTF??

Any ideas?? hopefull i'll be able to open it up this sat and figure whats going on.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Gears are toast. Pull the cover.....and take some pics.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 4dr
Engine: 2.5 liter 4cyl

Sounds like the clutches in the limited slip have done there last slip!
That brown gear oil is more than likely the clutch material that came off of the clutch discs.
Have you ever changed the gear oil and did you use a additive for the limited slip, must use additive for limited slip or you will burn up the clutches.
When you take the cover off, look real hard at the clutch disc are, they are behind the side gear to the axles, and if you can see the clutches look if you can see the steels also, they will be blue in color if the clutch material has burned off.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tankerblade
....And from there when i put it in reverse it wouldnt go backwards. so we had to push it back onto the street.
Gears.....
Old 11-03-2009, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Gears.....
if its the gears then when i drive normally on the street. it feels normal? is there a way to take to determine if its the gears without taking off the cover. reason being is i cant have the vehicle be down due to a hectic schedual. but Sat i will take it apart and get you guys pictures.

what exactly am i suppose to be looking for thats suppose to be the clutch discs?

I personally have not changed the oil in it. And i dont know if my late aunt (one who had this jeep before me) ever changed it, although she did take it into a local shop to get regular maintence. But i didnt get a chance to ask her since she passed away.

how much oil does the diff require? and is there a special "limited slip gear oil" or is it just regular oil with something extra that you buy, if that makes sense

BTW sorry i didnt mention it but i have the 8.25
Old 11-03-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 4dr
Engine: 2.5 liter 4cyl

Take the cover off, only way to find out whats going on!
Read my quote, about gear oil additive.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

X2