Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

death wobble won't go away - already rebuilt front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default death wobble won't go away - already rebuilt front end

Hi all!

I have had a death wobble problem for the last couple months on my stock 99 XJ. It started about a month after replacing my ball joints (failed inspection). About a month before that I got new tires (Hankook Optimo 225 75R15).

Since then, I have rebuilt basically the entire front end- track bar, tie rod ends and drag link, sway bar links and bushings, control arm bushings, steering stabilizer, and steering box. There were little bits of play in everything, but nothing (except the TB) was particularly horrible. I also rotated the tires. The
leaf springs and all 4 shocks were replaced ~1.5 years ago. I used Moog parts for everything except the steering box. That was a lares reman.

I *still* get a violent death wobble at 55+ hitting the right kind of bump. What could it be?

With everything replaced, I've had a dealer mechanic friend inspect for play and he couldn't find any. We did find a very very tiny amount of movement in both hub bearings, but it does not seem anywhere near enough to explain the DW.

Any ideas for other things to check? Would trying a tifferent set of wheels/tires make sense? I've noticed these tires have more wiggle back and forth than I think is normal (sidewall strength?) when I was checking wheel bearings. Anyone in the vicinity of southeast MA have some I could try with?

Thanks all, hoping to keep my XJ going. She's at 229k and otherwise runs great. I don't want to give up on this but am close to that point.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

After you rebuilt the front end did you get an alignment?
Old 05-02-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Quesar
Hi all! I have had a death wobble problem for the last couple months on my stock 99 XJ. It started about a month after replacing my ball joints (failed inspection). About a month before that I got new tires (Hankook Optimo 225 75R15). Since then, I have rebuilt basically the entire front end- track bar, tie rod ends and drag link, sway bar links and bushings, control arm bushings, steering stabilizer, and steering box. There were little bits of play in everything, but nothing (except the TB) was particularly horrible. I also rotated the tires. The leaf springs and all 4 shocks were replaced ~1.5 years ago. I used Moog parts for everything except the steering box. That was a lares reman. I *still* get a violent death wobble at 55+ hitting the right kind of bump. What could it be? With everything replaced, I've had a dealer mechanic friend inspect for play and he couldn't find any. We did find a very very tiny amount of movement in both hub bearings, but it does not seem anywhere near enough to explain the DW. Any ideas for other things to check? Would trying a tifferent set of wheels/tires make sense? I've noticed these tires have more wiggle back and forth than I think is normal (sidewall strength?) when I was checking wheel bearings. Anyone in the vicinity of southeast MA have some I could try with? Thanks all, hoping to keep my XJ going. She's at 229k and otherwise runs great. I don't want to give up on this but am close to that point.
Regarding "wiggle on the tires" what is the PSI on those babies and ditto the alignment question after you rebuilt the front end?
Old 05-02-2015, 06:02 PM

Year: 99

Yes, I got an alignment. The PSI is at 32 now. I tried upping it to 40 at one point with no real change in behavior.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000, (1957 Willys)

Check your toe in. If you aren't slightly toed in, you can wobble..... And it has to be checked correctly.......
Old 05-02-2015, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Did you check the axle side track bar mount hole and bolt? Sometimes wear in that area will cause the shimmys
Old 05-02-2015, 10:01 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by chipmaker
Did you check the axle side track bar mount hole and bolt? Sometimes wear in that area will cause the shimmys
If the hole was worn, what would be best way to fix it?
Old 05-02-2015, 10:10 PM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0L straight 6
Default May sou nd crazy

But make sure the tire PSI are exactly the same.. even being off by the slightest amount can cause a higher mileage vibration/wobble But other than that.. I have no idea... Good luck
Old 05-03-2015, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Death wobble – A very harsh cyclic oscillation of the front wheels which is transmitted into the steering wheel. The wheel will shake so violently that you think the entire front end is about to rip out from under you and send you to your death into a Jersey wall. It will require you to come to a complete or nearly complete stop to get it to go away. If you have any question about whether you had death-wobble or not, chances are you didn’t have it. Aside from terrible caster angles, it is more commonly caused by loose or worn steering components or front track bar components. Check all tie-rod ends for play and most importantly ensure that the axle-side of your track bar is torqued to spec (OEM is 55ft-lbs). If you have an aftermarket track bar make sure you know it’s torque spec
Old 05-03-2015, 09:46 AM

Year: 1996
Default death wobble won't go away - already rebuilt front end

Member drhoward shared this the other day
Attached Thumbnails death wobble won't go away - already rebuilt front end-screenshot_2015-05-02-17-00-15.png  
Old 05-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000, (1957 Willys)

Even if ALL of your components are new and tight, poor adjustment will lead to wobble. The reverse is also true.
Perfect alignment with worn parts will lead to wobble.

Translation: There is no magic pill or short-cuts when running down a death wobble
Old 05-05-2015, 01:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Larry's XJ
If the hole was worn, what would be best way to fix it?
Modify the bushing and use a larger bolt.