Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

DEATH WOBBLE!!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default DEATH WOBBLE!!

I just ordered a 4.5 inch rough country lift (I understand they aren't the best) for my 2000 xj. We installed it and of course I get a horrible death wobble. Going over 35 when you hit a bump the death wobble begins. Everything is tight and all the bushings are brand new on pretty much everything because it all came in the kit. I really want to solve it and have tried a lot, put more toe, add more caster, tighten everything extremely tight, new steering box(needed one anyway). And what I came to so far is maybe I need a different trac bar or trac bar set up. The very top bolt for my trac bar with the rubber thing on, that has a castle nut has play in it. IS IT SUPPOSED TO HAVE PLAY IN IT????!?!?!?!?!?! It goes up and down when you turn the wheel. I was looking at http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/ha...wobble-p-1017/ to purchase because someone told me that fixed theres. I was thinking of http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XSP to help me because I already have a brand new trac bar. I would love some help. I want to drive this thing on the highway to go places and travel but if I cant fix this I will unfortunately put a heavy steering stableizer and just mask it, I really don't want to but I have been trying to fix this for weeks.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:50 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

sounds like the tie rod end attached to the pitman arm is bad. any "give"/play in the steering is no good. that can easily cause your wobble.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/di...-wobble-55021/

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/dw.html

and there's some more reading for you. sometimes its easy sometimes it works its way around the system til its the last thing you do. have someone turn the steering back and forth and watch your linkages and trackbar any slop will be liable to give you death wobble.

Good luck with your endeavor sir.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Your track bar is new you say? I'm assuming it's a new OEM replacement? In which case, isn't good at 4.5"

You need an adjustable double sheer track bar. The one from Iron Rock Offroad is a good one, and I'd suggest it.

Either way, the track bar is bad and guaranteed that's what's causing your death wobble. There shouldn't be any up/down play where you're seeing.

Do not just slap on a big fancy steering stabilizer and call it a day. I've seen pictures of track bars snapped. And you don't want that happening to you, wouldn't be fun. Get a QUALITY track bar. Spend the extra money, you get what you pay for. So yes, you NEED a double sheer. Iron Rock Offroad, Rock Krawler, Clayton, Ironman 4x4, Rubicon Express, etc.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L stroker

Here

Check :
Adjustable track bar & make sure bracket is tight. Check Tre or heim on bar. Make sure the jam nut is on there and tight. Make sure the frame side isn't cracked around the bracket. Check axle side too.
Ball joints
wheel bearings
Tie rod
Drag link
Steering box & bolts
Pitman arm tre
Control arm bushings and CA bolts
Worn tires? Improperly balanced?
Sway bar should be connected and check the bushings & endlinks.
Find an alignment shop that handles lifted trucks
You should be familiar with the procedure of having a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth while your under there looking for loose/ worn parts. IMO at 4.5" of lift the factory y steering setup is a joke. Take your time thoroughly inspecting everything ive listed. Report back with your progress
Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L stroker

Buddy o mine just installed the ironman fab track bar. I will say that is one hefty track bar. Very well built.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Your track bar is new you say? I'm assuming it's a new OEM replacement? In which case, isn't good at 4.5"

You need an adjustable double sheer track bar. The one from Iron Rock Offroad is a good one, and I'd suggest it.

Either way, the track bar is bad and guaranteed that's what's causing your death wobble. There shouldn't be any up/down play where you're seeing.

Do not just slap on a big fancy steering stabilizer and call it a day. I've seen pictures of track bars snapped. And you don't want that happening to you, wouldn't be fun. Get a QUALITY track bar. Spend the extra money, you get what you pay for. So yes, you NEED a double sheer. Iron Rock Offroad, Rock Krawler, Clayton, Ironman 4x4, Rubicon Express, etc.
Yea but my trac bar is brand new from rough country and is heavy duty but has play top bolt where the castle nut is and the rubber little thing under it. I could take a pic for you to be exact. What do you think about that conversion from ironrock
Old 07-27-2013, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Well assuming you bought the right size track bar for your lift then just take out the cotter pin (if you have one in), get out a fat wrench, and tighten that puppy down as much as you can. There shouldn't be amy play if it was torqued to spec. But then again, it is Rough Country.........

The IRO double sheer upgrade is worth the money. I'd recommend it

And FYI that rubber thing is called the tie rod end dust boot. It's made to hold grease in. Did you grease the track bar after tightening down the castle nut?
Old 07-27-2013, 02:47 PM

Well assuming you bought the right size track bar for your lift then just take out the cotter pin (if you have one in), get out a fat wrench, and tighten that puppy down as much as you can. There shouldn't be amy play if it was torqued to spec. But then again, it is Rough Country.........

The IRO double sheer upgrade is worth the money. I'd recommend it

And FYI that rubber thing is called the tie rod end dust boot. It's made to hold grease in. Did you grease the track bar after tightening down the castle nut?
Yea it came with the kit. And its not the actual bolt tjat has play in it, its tighter than crap. It just looks like the movement is from under where the dust boot it. The dust boot squeezes up and down when I move the wheel back and forth. If I get the double shear conversion kit from iron rock does it drop the location of the trac bar? Would that help if it does or not? And Could that little play in the top part of the trac bar by the dust boot cause that bad of a death wobble? Because all I want to do is fix this death wobble. If I have to spend miney to solve it I will but I just want to be sending it twords the right products that will help me. All your help is appreciated...thanks
Old 07-27-2013, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Well how much play is there? Half an inch? A millimeter?

That could definitely be the very cause of your death wobble. Even if that joint didn't have any play, it would ware out eventually. And probably not too far in the future. It's a great move to upgrade to double sheer now.

I don't remember if it drops the track bar at all. I don't think it does, but I could be wrong. If it did, it wouldn't be more than an inch
Old 07-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

in your first post you said "The very top bolt for my trac bar with the rubber thing on, that has a castle nut has play in it. IS IT SUPPOSED TO HAVE PLAY IN IT????!?!?!?!?!?! It goes up and down when you turn the wheel ". That is your problem. Get the Iron Rock double sheer track bar. I have it and its awesome
Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

One other thing, I'm not sure if the IRO double sheer conversion (so just the bracket and double sheer end, not the whole bar itself), will work with your existing track bar. I don't know if it'll just thread right in.

I'd honestly just spend the $200 on the whole double sheer bar from IRO
Old 07-27-2013, 11:35 PM

One other thing, I'm not sure if the IRO double sheer conversion (so just the bracket and double sheer end, not the whole bar itself), will work with your existing track bar. I don't know if it'll just thread right in.

I'd honestly just spend the $200 on the whole double sheer bar from IRO
You think that's the greatest one that would help get ride of my death wobble? Also I would like to post a video of my jeep with the wheel Turing and if you could give me your thoughts I would live that. Ill post it hopfully tomorrow. Thanks so much man!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah post that puppy up. The IRO bar is quality stuff. Very beefy. Unless you race your XJ through dunes and hitting woops at 50 MPH, the IRO double sheer bar will more than suit your needs

And that will definitely solve your crappy RC track bar. Unless your ball joints, lower control arms, tires, etc are worn to crap, that track bar should solve your DW issue
Old 08-01-2013, 10:54 AM

Alright I will try to break out my video camera and get a video going today, thanks!