Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dash lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Dash lights not working

So today I was messing around with my instrument cluster. Found the little switch and took out the headlight **** so I could remove the panel around the gauge cluster. I put it all back together and now my dash lights don't work. Gauges all work. Headlights work. Switch to the dome light works when turned all the way. But no lights to instrument panel nor any of the HVAC or shifter lights. Radio light and radio does work.

I think I messed up the headlight switch somehow when I took out the headlight ****. Fuse number five and nine in the interior fuse box are OK.

Messed around with the headlight switch a bit and the instrument lights came on for about two seconds then went out again. So I know it's probably the switch. Dammit.

So is there a trip to the pick and pull in my future or does anyone think it'll be worth it to pull the switch out and try to service it somehow.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Just replace the switch, there is no sence in dinking with the old one, it's junk.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Just replace the switch, there is no sence in dinking with the old one, it's junk.
You're right. New one from O'Reilly's is only $28 bucks. Picking one up tomorrow.

I took out the switch and tried to clean out the contacts. There's a small copper insert in the switch that looks like got loose when I tried to feel around to find the **** release button. I tried to get it back where it looks like it should go but no dice.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok it wasn't the headlight switch. Swapped a new one in. Same thing. No dash lights and I also notice no rear parking lights with the headlights on. Headlights do work though. Rear lights work when applying brakes.

I'm thinking fuse even though it looks good. Will try to swap out a new five amp fuse tomorrow. I tried to swap in a ten amp fuse just to try it out. Didn't do anything. Gah.

Maybe I disconnected some wire or something in there accidentally. Gonna try the fuse tomorrow and then trouble shoot from there.

Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Have you installed an aftermarket stereo recently?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Fixed. It wasn't the passenger side kick panel "dash light" fuse (number six, a 5 amp fuse). It was the "headlight switch and data connector" 20 amp fuse in the PDC under the hood.

Apparently I am an idiot and didn't disconnect the negative battery when I was taking out my instrument cluster and when I messed with the headlight switch to remove the cluster panel it shorted it. DOH!!

Live and learn. It's not the first stupid thing I've done with my XJ.

In the picture it's the 20 amp fuse on the bottom row of the smaller mini fuses in the middle. Dash lights not working-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349238085.366277.jpg

Last edited by Muaddib420; 10-02-2012 at 11:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
birdsongty (08-08-2022)
Old 09-27-2014, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Muaddib420
Fixed. It wasn't the passenger side kick panel "dash light" fuse (number six, a 5 amp fuse). It was the "headlight switch and data connector" 20 amp fuse in the PDC under the hood.

Apparently I am an idiot and didn't disconnect the negative battery when I was taking out my instrument cluster and when I messed with the headlight switch to remove the cluster panel it shorted it. DOH!!

Live and learn. It's not the first stupid thing I've done with my XJ.

In the picture it's the 20 amp fuse on the bottom row of the smaller mini fuses in the middle. Attachment 147485
I am having the same problem but my fuses are good I replaced the switch and connector when I saw that it was melted put it all back together and still nothing
Old 09-06-2017, 01:25 PM

Default Aftermarket stereo

I'm having the same issue as was in the thread you commented on. I did just install a radio and I am having the same issues my dash lights not working and my running light not coming on but I do have head lights and break lights I'm not exactly sure if that rings any bells but it has me stumped. I've checked the fuses and relay's as well as just replaced the dang swith I'm not sure if I could have a wiring issue but I had seen the comment you made and was wondering if you knew something I didn't.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Engine: 4.0 liter

When I installed my new stereo after putting it all back together I kept blowing a fuse for the dash lights. Turned out to be a wire that was probably for the switch for something that was removed, it was open and touching the frame in the dash. I used some shrink tape and then taped it more with electrical tape so that the hot wire could not short out the dash lights any more.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:48 PM

I am having the same problem with our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I don't think I am as mechanically inclined as you all are, but trying to get this fixed for my kids. I have tried researching the fuse box for the 2004 Jeep GC, but I am not seeing anything that reads as "headlight switch and data connector" for the PDC. Any suggestions as to which fuse I need to take a look at? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:11 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Hi I did, think I may have missed a Wire?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:13 PM

Hi I did, did I miss a wire?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Originally Posted by Muaddib420

I took out the switch and tried to clean out the contacts. There's a small copper insert in the switch that looks like got loose when I tried to feel around to find the **** release button. I tried to get it back where it looks like it should go but no dice.
I have the same problem and when taking out my dash for the heater core, I noticed that the copper spring is not touching the copper track insert in the plastic when it is in the 'dash lights on' position. I bent it to make it stay on the track but have not tested it yet because dash is out. I will check that fuse as well, thanks for the help.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Dash Lights Not Working (97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo)

I joined to post my solution to this problem after it drove me nuts off and on for a few months. I tried everything...finally read a post that mentioned aftermarket radios and the radio illumination wire, orange in my case which is standard I think. The dash lights are wired through the factory stereo so when an aftermarket is put in you have to tie the dash lights back in somehow. I did this by pulling my cluster panel out, doing a little research to determine corresponding contacts for ground and back light, I determined the back light to be the orange wire on the connector to the cluster so I spliced into it while leaving it all connected and ran it to the orange wire on my stereo wiring harness. After lots of trial and error and thanks to other people posting their solutions I finally have beautiful, bright dash lights! Hope this helps someone!
The following users liked this post:
Souzel (09-17-2020)
Old 03-22-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 293 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.9 Stroker 4cyl

Thanks for all you guyzes input.

I have been trying to figure out the dash light dilemma on my (new to me) 93 Cherokee.
I to just replaced the switch today, and still no dash lights..................
So when the rain stops up here, I will go down and take my dash apart. When I pulled the radio, and HVAC control out the other day I noticed some........................ ummmmerrrrr ""custom" wiring done to the HVAC controller, so who knows what else the POS errr I mean previous owner did to things.
But I will check the stereo install they did thanks to you guys!

Quick Reply: Dash lights not working