Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dash board issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 11:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default dash board issue

Hello everyone,

Now that I got most of my repairs needed done on my van (except for tires, ac, and door issue) I am looking at getting some repairs done on my jeep that might be more of an issue than those.

I don't have much on my Jeep thats a problem but I have one or two that I am not sure what the issue is for sure.

My main issue is the dash which contains two issues of its own.

1. is the lights blink on and off sometimes (don't happen often anymore but was for a while). I think everyone believed its the light switch is either faulty or has a lose connection. Does that sound right?

2. the second issue is the dash just stops working. Originally it only did it here and there upon start up. now its doing it around sharp curves and sometimes just while driving. It does not effect the driving of the vehicle itself and it only stays like that (when on curves and driving for like 2 seconds)(on startup which its not done in a couple of months a couple of minutes). But what happens depends on when it does it.

when it does it upon startup, it does nothing at all. all gauges stay still yet the vehicle is running just fine so at the very least the rpm and battery gauge should move but don't. after a few mins the check gauges like comes on and everything jumps to normal.

when it does it while driving and turns most gauges are actually not effected. the check gauge light comes on and the only gauge that moves if the battery one that drops to the bottom then resumes.

Does this second issue sound like it could be related to the light switch or do you all think this is something else like a different lose connection or something going bad and what might it be so I can speak to mechanics and try to get a price from them to fix it.

thanks

ryan
Old 10-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

hello everyone

while I still have the issue i mentioned it appears the recent increase was not it getting worse but it working like its supposed too. I noticed that when it was doing it it was only the oil gauge having the issue which got me to thinking as busy as ive been when was the last time i checked the oil. sure enough I was really low on oil.

but for the other part anyone have any idea what the likely cause is?

any help would be appreciated.

ryan