Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dana 35 Axle brake line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Dana 35 Axle brake line replacement

Hello,

I have a '92 Cherokee with the Dana 35 rear axle and ABS brakes. I discovered recently that the hard line on the axle ruptured, presumably due to corrosion and needs replacing. What options are there for this axle? Some quick checks online at Jeep dealers imply that the OEM lines are no longer available. It seems there are several makers of replacement lines for the XJ, but they are for non-ABS only versions with the Chrysler 8 1/4" axle. I have yet to see any XJ lines available for the Dana 35 (ABS). What are the chances of these pre-bent lines for the Chrysler 8 1/4 axle working on the Dana 35? I'd guess if they both have 9" brakes that the wheel cylinder location should be similar and the flexible line attachment is also probably in roughly the same place too, but don't know for sure. The part over the hump of the axle is probably definitely different, but the 8 1/4" is bigger so that might be OK. I'd rather get pre-bent than having to play around with bending my own if possible. Does anybody have any suggestions for this model of XJ or am I stuck with bending my own or finding a shop to do it? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

i did this yesterday. never worked on brake lines before (but I did work on my drums so I was familiar with that) and it was pretty easy. no need for pre bent lines. people will tell you to get a 25' roll of brake line and flare them (gotta rent or buy the tool, get the fittings, etc) but at my local parts store they sell pre-flared lines with fitting, maybe you can find the same things. otherwise you will need to flare your lines. it doesn't look that bad to be honest, follow a video tutorial and rent the tool from your parts store.

you need 3/16 lines that have 3/8 fittings. depending on the condition of your wheel cylinders, you might want to replace them to be able to bleed the brakes. it's what I did and didn't have to remove the brake shoes and hardware in order to do it. follow BleepinJeep video on how to replace a wheel cylindesr and it's exactly what I did with success.

if your wheel cylinders are relatively new or can be bled easily, then forget about the last paragraph and you can simply move on the step of crimping your rubber brake line so less fluid drips out of the brake junction box on the axle. unscrew the brake line from the junction box, screw the new one in, do the same on the wheel cylinder and you're ready to bleed the system. again many videos online on how to bleed it, alone or with someone, just look it up on youtube.

don't forget to put the drum back before starting to bleed, I'm speaking from experience and had a wheel cylinder pop a few years back after pressing the brakes without the drum on *sigh*

took me 3 hours total, half the time was spent trying to remove the f'in rusted drum.. ughh

if you need more info feel free to ask. it was a pretty straight forward job but you need the right tools. pry bars for the drums in cas they're stuck, 5/16 wrench for the bleeder valve, 3/8 wrench for the line fittings, breaker bar/impact for the wheels, brake fluid to top the reservoir, vice grips for crimping the line, and probably other stuff I forgot about