Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dana 30 HP Cad Loose Yoke, PreLoad Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Dana 30 HP Cad Loose Yoke, PreLoad Question

Hello im fairly new here so hope im in the right spot. I just got done with a 700 mile wheelin trip and started to notice a noisya Dana 30. After inspection i noticed the yoke nut was loose and that i could move the yoke up an down side to side a good amount. So i searched around and found that the high pinion Dana 30 has pinion shims to set the bearing preload and and that the nut should be about 210ft lbs. So with only have a torque wrench that went to 150 lbs i red locktighted the nut and torqued to 150 then continued untill i though it was in the ball park. I took it for a test drive and the noise went away. There is no longer any play in the yoke but i did notice that the back of the differential was alot warmer than the back dana 35. Do you think my bearings are toast? I didnt have any play in the yoke when i checked over u joints and what not about 3000 miles ago. Also how hot is too hot. I mean it was about the point of being uncomfortable if i left my hand in place? Could i have got lucky and caught it in time?