Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dad, what's the Jeep doing in the pool??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: ‘95
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Dad, what's the Jeep doing in the pool??

Well, I never would've thunk this could happen, but it did. Mix a dingbat girlfriend with gosh knows what else she might've been smokin' and here's what I get. My highly modified mint condition '95 XJ in her swimming pool.

I need some help/advice from anyone that has had a submerged vehicle before. Is it savable? I'm sure the insurance company will total it but is it worth buying it back and getting it going?

Here's what I did. It was out of the water within a couple hours. I drained the motor. I pulled the plugs and sucked out the water in the cylinders. put oil in the cylinders and hand turned the motor over several times. I pulled all the fuses and blew it all out. Surprisingly, there wasn't any moisture in there. Blew out the board on the drivers side. Disconnected the battery. Put a big carpet fan on the drivers seat to blow air up under the dash.

Is there going to be water in everything else? Trans, transfer case, gas tank, brake res, power steering tank?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as I need to act fast if I'm going to try and save my waterlogged wonder.

Chris
Old 12-14-2018, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by cclay
I'm sure the insurance company will total it but is it worth buying it back and getting it going?
It's a 23 year old Cherokee, insurance will probably give you $400 and you get to keep the vehicle. You probably pony up to repair the pool + whatever else was damaged in the incident.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Oh no..... That has to be a first on this forum....

Sounds like you have taken the proper steps. I would keep draining fluids, especially the differentials, they are not 100% sealed.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

Looks like you are doing all the right things to get it running but I am curious to know the whole story. Forget her birthday? Does she think D stands for "Definitely Reverse"? Just saw Dukes of Hazard and is easily influenced?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

Get the carpets out before they start to fester - and do nasty things to your floor pans.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:23 PM
jpz
Seasoned Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Year: 2000

Sounds like you already started doing everything you can. Agree with others who have said change all the fluid, don't want rust starting inside any of bearings, gears and what not.

While I haven't had a car completely submerged, I have had to remove an entire interior because all the windows and sunroof were left open on my wife's car for the length of a rain storm. Completely soaked everything, puddles of water everywhere, but we ran fans and a dehumidifier in the car until it was good and dry.

Hopefully you can save it. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994

When it's finally dried out, you may want to spray some stuff in the doors, like LPS-3, enough to soak into the pinch welds on the bottoms of the doors. Also, lubricate the mechanisms for the windows, door latches... etc.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

It's your electrical that is going to take a huge hit when submerged as far as yours has been. Electrons and water do not get along. Even if you get it running again, you are assuredly going to run into electrical gremlins down the road.

On a side note....I do like how you titled this thread. It's gonna get a lot of looks!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992

Honestly, there is going to be a lot to take apart, but if it is in mint condition, and you have the time, space, and patience, keep doing what you're doing. Try to pull as much of the interior out as you can. While its all out, go through ALL of the electrical stuff you can. Also take a look at the fuel tank / pump, just in case any water could have gotten in. The good thing is that its clean water, not like that brown or black flood water.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001

I have done it a few of times ( Clean or repair cars that were in water that is ) yes drain everything diffs, transfer, trans, power steering pump check master cylinder your dealing with clean pool water so a big plus now lake water is bad (for smell ) and salt water then don't bother trying to save it! Strip inside clean with fresh water and let dry! spray all fuse boxes and electrical connections with wd40 it displaces water, Computer is made to deal with water normaly are good radio and blower motor if they were not on let dry and may be okay again blower motor can be sprayed with wd40 and let dry. Be sure to check fuel tank and carbin canister it gets overlooked a lot with sunk cars!

Last edited by RockinRonnie; 12-14-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Sometimes a wash is a good thing, so a soak in the tub should be cool, right?

I'll ask you this, was it a saltwater pool? Saltwater would be a **** ton worse
Old 12-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Due to your location and the daily temperature this time of year, a good heat soak in a paint spray booth could help dry it out. Where most people wind up with trouble is the water that gets into the wires where the insulation ends, like at the connectors where they are stripped for the pins. Don't forget the lamp sockets either. Nothing should be overlooked. After Hurricane Sandy, there were so many cars that were flooded with salt water and slipped by the insurance companies to be sold to unsuspecting customers that it became a national scandal! They developed electrical problems in the wiring many years down the road.

It looks like you're on the right path to save the beast. Good luck with the girlfriend! I hope the engine died before it sucked in enough water to bend any rods or crack pistons from hydraulic lock.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-14-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:54 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I’ve honestly been there done that to a degree . My dad purchased a 2003 Wrangler from Insurance a friend of his son had drove into a creek and left running. In our situation it threw a rod. We replaced the engine , instrument cluster and a few other electrical components and drove it for the next 2-4 years before selling it . You will be just fine let it dry leave battery unhooked doors open let it dry as long as possible .
Old 12-15-2018, 12:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

"Mint Condition.... Heavily Modified"

Hmm nope! Can't be mint if modified.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4-0

Pictures of the girlfriend would help

Quick Reply: Dad, what's the Jeep doing in the pool??