Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cutting exhaust pipe short?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Cutting exhaust pipe short?

So my muffler went bad as well as the pipe between the muffler and CAT was rusted to crap with a huge hole in it. Had it replaced today with a FlowMaster but didnt pay to have the remaining exhaust pipe replaced yet.... Figured Id wait until I have a new rear bumper to make sure I locate it in the best place possible.......

My question is, can i just cut off the rest of the tail pipe for now, right after the hanger near the muffler? Would there be any adverse affects from doing so? I can see that it will be blowing directly on my rear axle but thats about it..... I figured it would sound a little better and maybe improve performance too with out all that long skinny pipe restricting the flow.

Anyone with thoughts about doing this? Good or Bad?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

I had the same thing happen not long ago and if I to do it over again I would leave it hooked up,the smell of the cat and exhaust would come into the cab at times. You can also cause things to get warmer than they should from exhaust blowing on them.
as far as performance,it will not effect it.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Im wondering about this as well, figured getting rid of the cat back would open up the exhaust a little. my mufflers pretty much shot so im thinkin about getting a flowmaster or something similiar then having the pipe come out the side right infront of the passenger side rear wheel. i might take my cat off altogether, i dont think i have to go thru emissions anymore becuase its a 96, but im not sure (and im in wisconsin if anyone knows our state law off the top of their head).
Old 07-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995

there's no ill affects you might want to put a turndown on it. and there's no performance benefit
Old 07-27-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by TXstiGuy
there's no ill affects you might want to put a turndown on it. and there's no performance benefit
Will it make it a little louder?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

Originally Posted by strikechords
Im wondering about this as well, figured getting rid of the cat back would open up the exhaust a little. my mufflers pretty much shot so im thinkin about getting a flowmaster or something similiar then having the pipe come out the side right infront of the passenger side rear wheel. i might take my cat off altogether, i dont think i have to go thru emissions anymore becuase its a 96, but im not sure (and im in wisconsin if anyone knows our state law off the top of their head).
I live in ca,they smog everything from 1976 as newer.and it has to be done every 2 years. The hp and some local police are trained to check for modified emmisions if you get pulled over and they suspect you may have. If I could pull mt cat off i would do the same thing.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

you run the risk of heating up your gas tank and/or your rear axle. neither of which is good.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:05 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
you run the risk of heating up your gas tank and/or your rear axle. neither of which is good.
^^ X2

Also as mixed89 said, the fumes coming inside kinda suck (so does passing out while driving). I had a turndown behind the muffler on my 95 s10 blazer and didn't like it at all. Always got headaches on the e-way.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Seasoned Member

i agree with everyone that said something about fumes inside the cab or heating up the gas tank/rear axle/whatever, BUT thats why im saying id just make a side pipe, i wouldnt think it would be that hard to make that, like i said before the tip would be just below the passenger side back door. then when i get a flowmaster (or hooker headers exhaust, or something, idk) and have it comin out right there it'll be real loud in some ricers face when im sitting next to them at a light.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Seasoned Member

like so. just on the other side, without the chrome dual tip thinger. not too big on chrome and that thing has a lot of it, but you get what im saying.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by strikechords
i agree with everyone that said something about fumes inside the cab or heating up the gas tank/rear axle/whatever, BUT thats why im saying id just make a side pipe, i wouldnt think it would be that hard to make that, like i said before the tip would be just below the passenger side back door. then when i get a flowmaster (or hooker headers exhaust, or something, idk) and have it comin out right there it'll be real loud in some ricers face when im sitting next to them at a light.
If you wheel at all, good luck when you bash it on something.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

i had side pipe but bashed it in wheeling. i was running pipe over the axle and dumped before the gas tank but offroading bouncing over rocks, the clamp fell off and the pipe landed on a rock forcing it back into the gas tank. made a good little cut in the tank. i want to either get a heartthrob or flowmast exhaust back on but yeah it will be louder.