Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

custom recovery point pics please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default custom recovery point pics please?

I've been searching for what to do for recovery points on my 1998 cherokee sport, and I've read about how ****ty the cherokee unibodies are so I know I need to brace it for hooks/rings, I've also read enough threads to realize that the majority of you guys favor d rings over hooks, so what i need is pictures of all of your custom recovery points. I don't have a hitch but may end up making a hitch if that will be my best bet. My buddies a metal fab guy, eventually we're going to build tubular bumpers for the xj but right now I can't afford the tubing so I think d rings with custom brackets will be my best bet since fazzio steel sells plate steel for scrap value. any of you make custom d ring brackets on the frame? or should i Make something like a hitch with one decent d ring in the center front and back? Let me see your CUSTOM(not bought not custom ordered, i want to see what you've made and installed) recovery points. thanks.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

i would recomend the factory tow hooks in the front like these ones http://custom4x4fabrication.com/recovery.html#brackets for the front and a hitch with receiver shackle for the rear thats what i run and it works great for never had any problems getting pulled out or pulling out if you dont want to fork out that kind of money hit the JY and find some factory tow hooks on another xj thats where i got mine they look identical to the ones listed above
Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 PM

I don't feel like going through the jy for some hooks when I've got a buddy that is going to make stronger brackets/mounts and i can run D Rings. plus when we do the front I'm probably going to trim the farring(idk what it is the lip thingy)under the front bumper so i can have my recovery point as high as possible. I figure the jeeps already gonna be in his shop since he's got a welder so we might as well get my recovery points done at the same time.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

I will post up some pics tomorrow. But for the mean time...

1/2 inch steel plate drilled out with 4 grade 8 nuts welded to it. Stretching back about a foot through rear unibody. 4 grade 8 bolts sandwiching the unibody with 1/16 steel together. Fully gusseted with 10,000 lbs hooks.

I love them.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Ok found this one.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 PM

It's going in monday so take your time, even if we don't have any pics we will figure something out. the kids custom building an underslung frame for the s10 he just bagged and will be body dropping and he's only been a professional welder for like the past 6 or so years so we will deff get something fabbed up. I just figured pics of what you guys have done will just help to speed up our process. thanks for the teaser long island xj lol looks like a hefty mount.