Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A couple of noob questions about shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default A couple of noob questions about shocks

Ive never had to work with shocks, I've always had them done... but now I want to see if I can't do the work myself, it doesn't seem like rocket science.

Is there anything more complicated to it than unbolting the old ones and bolting on the new ones? Jack up the jeep, take off the old shocks and put on new ones?

And what's a decent shock at a decent price? Something for a DD that occasionally sees light trails or logging roads? Anything decent/good under $100 each?

And do you size the same shock for a 2-3" lift? I've heard that if you have 2" of lift, you can get away with the factory shocks but lose some flexing ability. Does this mean the factory one's bolt on even with the 2" lift, or do you have to do some monkeying around? Would 2" of lift be enough to get a longer shock that'd work PAST 2" so that I can maximize flexing if needed?

Thanks much for helping. I'm learning lots about things I haven't worked on myself before and it's pretty awesome. Feels good to do this work yourself, save a buck, and keep learning more about your XJ, yanno?
Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kidkodiak
Ive never had to work with shocks, I've always had them done... but now I want to see if I can't do the work myself, it doesn't seem like rocket science.

Is there anything more complicated to it than unbolting the old ones and bolting on the new ones? Jack up the jeep, take off the old shocks and put on new ones?

And what's a decent shock at a decent price? Something for a DD that occasionally sees light trails or logging roads? Anything decent/good under $100 each?

And do you size the same shock for a 2-3" lift? I've heard that if you have 2" of lift, you can get away with the factory shocks but lose some flexing ability. Does this mean the factory one's bolt on even with the 2" lift, or do you have to do some monkeying around? Would 2" of lift be enough to get a longer shock that'd work PAST 2" so that I can maximize flexing if needed?

Thanks much for helping. I'm learning lots about things I haven't worked on myself before and it's pretty awesome. Feels good to do this work yourself, save a buck, and keep learning more about your XJ, yanno?
look at the tread https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/resevoir-shocks-17001/ has some good info and as far as doing them just do a search on here and you will come up with hundreds of threads about doing it. it is pretty simple
Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

I'll search again, thanks. I do that first 90% of the time, but I guess I was taking a short-cut this time

Thanks though =)
Old 05-28-2009, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

no problem just check out that tread some good info on shocks and they are easy enough to do your self that it is not worth paying any body else