Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cooling System Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cooling System Overhaul

When I bought my '99, I was not impressed with the condition of the cooling system. It looked like the PO was on the "once every other decade" coolant maintenance schedule.

I planned on a radiator, water pump, hoses, t-stat, and heater core. I let it go all winter thinking it'd be a better job for warmer weather. I planned to start with a very thorough cooling system flush so I wasn't working with that nasty coolant... was going to do that this past weekend. Plans got changed, and I didn't get the flush done. It's not my daily driver, but it was a beautiful day yesterday so I took it to work (one hour commute) like I have many times.

On the way home, the jeep decided that we were starting the overhaul now by expelling the contents of the cooling system.

Lots of babbling for a couple of questions: Any recommendations for radiator, water pump, hoses, etc.? I'm going to bypass the heater core for now since that's it's own fun project.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

All OEM is what cherokeeforum usually suggests. When it comes to coolant system components and engine management sensors, MOPAR makes the best stuff. It will be a little bit more expensive, but you will get the highest quality parts and your XJ will smile with glee.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:07 AM

I didn't go OEM. I went with a Spectra radiator based on a previous good experience. Gates water pump & hoses, Stant t-stat, Dorman t-stat housing, and Dorman water pump inlet. I put it together on Saturday evening and everything seems good. No leaks and stable temp. Gonna flush the system a couple of times to get the residual crap that I couldn't flush before doing the work.

Heater core is bypassed for now. I'll get to that in the next couple/few weeks.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:18 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Motojunky
I didn't go OEM. I went with a Spectra radiator based on a previous good experience. Gates water pump & hoses, Stant t-stat, Dorman t-stat housing, and Dorman water pump inlet. I put it together on Saturday evening and everything seems good. No leaks and stable temp. Gonna flush the system a couple of times to get the residual crap that I couldn't flush before doing the work.

Heater core is bypassed for now. I'll get to that in the next couple/few weeks.
This is exactly what I did in September of last year except I went with the mopar t-stat. Also, I replaced the radiator cap with a mopar unit. I have had zero cooling issues since.

Edit: Don't forget about the fan clutch. It sounds like yours is fine but it's a cheap part to replace if there's any doubt.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by fijicorey25
This is exactly what I did in September of last year except I went with the mopar t-stat. Also, I replaced the radiator cap with a mopar unit. I have had zero cooling issues since.
Given the condition of the coolant when I bought the jeep back in September, it's remarkable that I wasn't experiencing cooling issues under most conditions. It did get hot during a long ride on the beach (deep sugar sand), but I was part of the problem letting the auto trans slip too much. Shoulda been in 4LO. My prior beach driving was always with a proper transmission (manual!) so I didn't think of that til it started to run hot.

Anywho, right up until it blew the side tank out of the radiator, it was working fine. A poor excuse to put off the maintenance for sure!

Edit after reading you edit (haha): I skipped the fan clutch for now since it feels good and looks to have been replaced fairly recently. I probably should just do it before I head back to the beach.

Last edited by Motojunky; 04-17-2017 at 08:32 AM.