Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cooling fan relay!!! Where is it?? Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default cooling fan relay!!! Where is it?? Help

Hey guys, I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0l six cylinder 4wd.My cooling fan doesn't work and I'm trying to locate the Control relay module. I've read all over the net that it is underneath the passenger headlight. I've cut a hole in the plastic and found where it is supposed to be. The mounting holes are there but no module.Is it there only on the 8 cylinders?? I know the fan works because I ran 12 volts directly to it and it ran just fine.Please help if you know where it is I need to look. Thanks
Old 03-13-2010, 10:40 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Power Tech
Default Fan relay

The fan relay should be in Power Distrabution Unit look for black box about 4" wide by 10" long, this is under the hood probably passenger side. Open the lid and there should be a diagram on the underside of the lid showing fuses and relays. If you know the fan works then swap the relay with another there are several that are the same. If not there should be a temp sending unit to tell the fan to furn on. I also should come on when the A/C compressor is running.
Good Luck.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:51 PM

Thanks, however I know where the relays are. I was looking for the module that tells which relay to energize. It should be under the passenger headlight. After extensive research I found that on some 2004 models, the module was eliminated and the computer determines when and what speed the fan should run. I tested the three pin connector to the fan by running a jumper wire from the battery. the middle pin is the ground and the two outer are low and high speed. Only one side worked and it was weak. So I came to a conclusion that the electric motor has gone bad. Does this sound correct? Thanks for your help!!

Also, I have checked relays in the PDB and they are all good! Also I have already replaced Coolant temp sensor!

Last edited by cherokeric; 03-14-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

all 2004 models. I had the same problem. I just replaced the fan and it works fine