Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Coolant Temp Sensor

96 Jeep cherokee 4.0

Coolant temp sensor (t stat) has a square body, but everything Im finding for that part is for a 97+?? Is this part interchangeable? Suggestions on the correct part?Posting pic for reference

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-24-2017, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

By square body, do you mean it has the more rectangular connector instead of the older rounder connector? If so, 96s can have a mix of them. The rectangular style were later in the year and were preparation for their transition to the 97s. My 96 has mostly 97 connectors on it. I had to go through the same thing with my Engine Coolant Temperature sensor (ECT).

I ended up getting the following (amazon):
Standard Motor Products TX81T Coolant Temperature Sensor
by Standard Motor Products
Link: http://a.co/7zdiefX

In my amazon car list, I now keep a 1996 XJ -and- a 1997 XJ just for this very reason. It comes up quite a bit, especially when dealing with sensors.

Now, as for the compatibility of the part, for the ECT, I think you'll be just fine. Because you actually have a 97 ECT on that vehicle already. I would tell you definitively, but I bought mine as a spare, and haven't installed it on the vehicle yet. The ECT works by creating a certain amount of resistance at a certain temperature. The Jeep's computer then samples that resistance and translates it into a temperature. So it is the kind of part that could cause trouble if it was not compatible, for example, the older coolant sensors (80s/90s) do not have the same resistance levels for the same temperatures, would could totally confuse the computer. But from 96 to 97, given that we actually have the 97 sensor already (rectangular connector). I think it will be just fine. (long winded, but wanted you to know the reasoning).

Last edited by jordan96xj; 04-24-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:44 AM

So I should be good to buy a 97! Great Thanks
Old 04-24-2017, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

96 is an odd year, just remember that when comes the time to replace other sensors. I've had this issue with the TPS and also, like you, the coolant temp sensor, among other little quirks.

indeed if you order the replacement for a "1996" jeep cherokee, you'll get the rounded sensor. I'm pretty sure the design changed for OBDII which includes 1996 even though it's the older body style. So you need to get a 97 sensor instead, this one will be square and fit the connector properly.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:01 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Here is mine on a 2000