Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant overflow bottle HELPPP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Coolant overflow bottle HELPPP!!!

Hi guys i'm new to this forum and I am in need of some help. I bought a 91 Cherokee back in October as a little project and so far its been fun fixing little things and seeing the creativeness of its previous owner (like allowing the blinkers to only work when the hazards are on but the hazards dont work) anyway after wanting to change the coolant in the radiator I noticed no radiator cap... after researching it I realized I have a closed loop radiator system.. ok thats different.. well I then noticed that the coolant overflow bottle was filled with water/coolant so I took it out and drained it only to find out that the hose was cut by it previous owner and now goes to the ground instead of the radiator... so I bought some new hose to connect to the radiator which I figured was an easy connect and go job but I have noooo clue where it goes. I researched and researched for hours on end and looked under, around, and everywhere but I still have no clue where or what the overflow bottle hose connects to.. Please Help Me!!! pictures or any kind of information would be amazing... Waiting patiently
Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

well mine is connects where the neck of the radiator cap is...there is a little tube that comes out and connects from there, along on top of the radiator and to the bottle...but i have a 95 but i dont think it shouldnt have changed designs wise,,,hope this helps
Old 12-23-2009, 10:13 PM

yea on the closed loop systems their is no radiator cap with that little nub to connect the hose to, thats only on the much better open systems like you have.
I tried looking again and noo such luck yet

Last edited by 91boggers; 12-24-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:47 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 91boggers
Hi guys i'm new to this forum and I am in need of some help. I bought a 91 Cherokee back in October as a little project and so far its been fun fixing little things and seeing the creativeness of its previous owner (like allowing the blinkers to only work when the hazards are on but the hazards dont work) anyway after wanting to change the coolant in the radiator I noticed no radiator cap... after researching it I realized I have a closed loop radiator system.. ok thats different.. well I then noticed that the coolant overflow bottle was filled with water/coolant so I took it out and drained it only to find out that the hose was cut by it previous owner and now goes to the ground instead of the radiator... so I bought some new hose to connect to the radiator which I figured was an easy connect and go job but I have noooo clue where it goes. I researched and researched for hours on end and looked under, around, and everywhere but I still have no clue where or what the overflow bottle hose connects to.. Please Help Me!!! pictures or any kind of information would be amazing... Waiting patiently
You`d be better off putting an radiator with an cap in ur rig Otherwise I`ll post up an picture later for you
Old 12-24-2009, 01:02 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by 91boggers
P.S. if it`s an 91 the radiator should have an cap? But here`s an picture off an 87
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

if you got a closed sytem you ought to upgrade to a open sytem
Old 12-24-2009, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the pictures!! I looked in that same area but didnt see anything today. Here are some pics of what im working with if the help

This is the coolant bottle that is on my year and I took the hose off of the top bc it was only a foot long and went to the ground.

If you can see under the blue wire that is the remaing hose that the guy before me cut and ran an electrical wire through.... but as you can see no radiator cap and their is nothing around where the hose stops that I can see to connect it to.
Any Ideas??
Old 12-24-2009, 09:20 PM

Looks like someone replaced the radaitor with an closed one so go on ebay and u can buy one for $63.00 to ur door. In other words someone replaced the radiator with an older one. You`ll need to change it out. P.S. where are you located?
Attached Images   

Last edited by Cherokeefever; 12-24-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:47 PM

AHHH okok, I live in Dublin, Ohio like 15 from downtown Columbus.... Their is a place called pick and pull im gonna go their and get a newer radiator and blower motor next week tho.... Where r u located at??
Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990 Limited, black
Engine: 4.0

On my '90 the lower hose goes through the heater control valve then to the water pump. The top hose comes in from the head / (thermostat i believe)