Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Constant brake issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Constant brake issues...

Hey everyone It's been quite a while since I've posted on here, mainly because I'm about to buy a new Toyota Tundra and retire my ol' jeep. BUT until I buy the Tundra in 2-3 months I need a vehicle of course.

I've replaced my front brake calibers probably four times this year, its never the same it basically alternates. I'll be going down the road and my jeep will pull TERRIBLY to the right or left, when I hit my brakes it straightens itself back out. I actually hurt my wrist keeping my wheel straight driving home today.

Anyways it's been at the mechanics quite a few times, and they keep telling me the caliber is bad, they replace it free of cost, they even had to tow it three weeks ago due to the same issue, four week before that my brakes actually caught on fire, and boy was that scary.

Can anyone give some insight on what can cause this? They are replacing the brake lines also, I believe a few times they actually collapsed which is sort of weird as it is.

One thing I was thinking may have caused this issue, I have a 3 inch lift on my jeep currently and I seen on Morris 4x4 they sell different brake lines depending on your vehicle lift. Even if I didn't have those slightly longer brake lines would it cause the issues I'm having?

Thanks!

EDIT: Almost every time I get out of my truck if a spit on the front rotors is evaporates immediately their so hot, is this normal?

Last edited by Greenwire6; 01-26-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Greenwire6
Hey everyone It's been quite a while since I've posted on here, mainly because I'm about to buy a new Toyota Tundra and retire my ol' jeep. BUT until I buy the Tundra in 2-3 months I need a vehicle of course. I've replaced my front brake calibers probably four times this year, its never the same it basically alternates. I'll be going down the road and my jeep will pull TERRIBLY to the right or left, when I hit my brakes it straightens itself back out. I actually hurt my wrist keeping my wheel straight driving home today. Anyways it's been at the mechanics quite a few times, and they keep telling me the caliber is bad, they replace it free of cost, they even had to tow it three weeks ago due to the same issue, four week before that my brakes actually caught on fire, and boy was that scary. Can anyone give some insight on what can cause this? They are replacing the brake lines also, I believe a few times they actually collapsed which is sort of weird as it is. One thing I was thinking may have caused this issue, I have a 3 inch lift on my jeep currently and I seen on Morris 4x4 they sell different brake lines depending on your vehicle lift. Even if I didn't have those slightly longer brake lines would it cause the issues I'm having? Thanks! PS: Almost every time I get out of my truck if a spit on the front rotors is evaporates immediately their so hot, is this normal?
Just to rule out. You have had an alignment and the right size trac bar for your lift right. If the jeep straightens out WHEN you hit the brakes I don't see how that's the calipers. It drives pulling to the right normally
Old 01-25-2015, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Sounds like a caliper is dragging (not releasing all the way). How do the mounts for the rotors look? Are they flat or do they have a divit in one spot? They could be sticking on the mount and not sliding freely.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Sounds like the pulling before braking is an alignment issue. If the shop can't figure that out, go to a new shop. Otherwise if you have gone threw 4 sets of calipers something else is wrong. Try installing the calipers yourself or at a different shop. If it's a good shop this probably never would have happened because they would have done a road test before and after.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Are the calipers actually freezing up where you can't move the jeep?
Old 01-26-2015, 04:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Master or booster replaced recently ?.

Last edited by freegdr; 01-26-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Just to rule out. You have had an alignment and the right size trac bar for your lift right. If the jeep straightens out WHEN you hit the brakes I don't see how that's the calipers. It drives pulling to the right normally
I've had it aligned several times, the trac bar is still stock so no. It's also pulling to the left currently hard, not the right. I was thinking one brake is applying pressure so one wheel is just moving slower than the other, when I brake they are both applied, which would straighten it out, or is my logic flawed?

Originally Posted by scottmphoto
Sounds like a caliper is dragging (not releasing all the way). How do the mounts for the rotors look? Are they flat or do they have a divit in one spot? They could be sticking on the mount and not sliding freely.
I'll look into this, I've honestly never done brakes in my life so I would have to find out where the mounts are.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-br...e-xj/index.htm
I don't even see the mount/part in this catalog.

Originally Posted by XJ-92
Sounds like the pulling before braking is an alignment issue. If the shop can't figure that out, go to a new shop. Otherwise if you have gone threw 4 sets of calipers something else is wrong. Try installing the calipers yourself or at a different shop. If it's a good shop this probably never would have happened because they would have done a road test before and after.
I trust the shop, honestly, and when it comes out its fine when they replace them, perfect, but a month later they mess up again.

Originally Posted by Radi
Are the calipers actually freezing up where you can't move the jeep?
No, I was driving 60 mph with the hard pull but my brakes get so freakin hot its scary.

Originally Posted by freegdr
Master or booster replaced recently ?.
Nope.

Last edited by Greenwire6; 01-26-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Have they replaced the lines every time also ? Are lines getting pulled tight in in way ?