Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Connector Problem, maybe ABS? Please help identify

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Connector Problem, maybe ABS? Please help identify

Hey guys, I tried looking around for a good pic to confirm and even the service manual from the factory doesnt have a good pic of the ABS connections.

I was replacing my throttle body when I noticed that the clip in the yellow box was disconnected. At first I only noticed the white clipped end and then saw the black cable lying below. i traced it down to the brakes so Im pretty sure its ABS.

The second pic is a closeup of the yellow square and the third pic is a closeup of the red square. I found the same setup already plugged together on the left side and the cable runs down to the brakes so based on that I put the cables "back" together. Now, when braking I sometimes get a little ABS chatter when hitting the brakes while moving in slow traffic. When I am at normal speeds and hit the brakes I get no ABS reaction and a firm pedal. Could the previous owner have removed that connector if the abs unit on that wheel is not working? And without it connected will it just function as a normal disc brake?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Connector Problem, maybe ABS? Please help identify-20161025_175746_mod.jpg   Connector Problem, maybe ABS? Please help identify-20161025_closeup_yellow.jpg   Connector Problem, maybe ABS? Please help identify-20161025_closeup_red.jpg  
Old 10-28-2016, 02:03 PM

No one has any idea?
Old 10-28-2016, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Yes, If the wheel speed sensor or the tone ring are broken than that may trigger low-speed abs activation. Simply disconnecting the sensor is just throwing a bandaid at the situation but this should trigger an ABS light on the dashboard. This means the ABS system senses a fault and is deactivated. Inspect the tone ring on the axle for damage. It's also possible for the sensor to be dirty or caked with mud/grease. Clean that up and test. These are things to do before replacing the sensor.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:00 PM

Thanks man, much appreciated. I'm pretty sure the previous owner had it disconnected because i remember the light was on before I found it disconnected. I'll check out the tone ring and possible grime and go from there.