Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

confused 92/96 cherokee issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: '96 4.0L
Default confused 92/96 cherokee issues

my xj seems to have a slight bit of an issue. ill be driving it and it'll just die on me (but runs great cold), and its knockin (didnt start till after the first time it died and left me stranded). oh and i forgot i have no power to the radio, instrament panel, turn/tail lights, brake lights, b/u lights, dome light, speedo, tach, a/c and control panel, and the cigarette lighter. basically anything inside that needs power, except for my amp, and all lights, except for my low beams, have no power.

bit of ackground on my turd. its a 1992 xj sport w/ a 96 4.0 in it. i bought it without it running but it was lifted w/ 33's, fenders were cut, aftermarket temp and oil pressure guages, and would crank. new distributor got it running. i indexed it right and made sure everything was good to go. i drove it around for bout 3 months and i was headin home from my buddies house in louisville and it just shut down on my at the bottom of the hill. at first we thought it was a fuel flow problem because it fired right up once i installed a new fuel filter. i got to the top of the hill and it died again. it got impounded that night and when i got it out a week later it died as i got it home.

ive come to the conclusion that either the cps sensor is bad or failing or that there is an electrical problem associated to the fact that the oil pressure and water temp senders are not hooked up to the harness and possible cut corners on the engine swap.

any help would be appreciated.

thank you,
damon

Last edited by mil-spec daydream; 09-17-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: reworded