Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cold Start great, warm start very high rev. idle stuck

Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l i6
Default Cold Start great, warm start very high rev. idle stuck

Hello XJ family, I want to start by saying thanks for any help.

I have and 87 XJ 4.0l auto 200k mi, built at 100k. I have also already searched many threads and forums, none fit.

It starts fine and runs normal, cold in the morning in Colorado winters (10-30degs.) Ill drive it to class about 1.5miles, class duration is between 3-5 hrs.

When I start it to drive home, it will fire right up but it will get "stuck" on 3000rpms and not cut down to normal idle. ive sat for 15-20 mins to see if its stuck or just has excess fuel from a leaky injector but no such luck and I don't want to hurt the engine. So I cut it off and then try to fire it back up. At this point it will not turn back over unless it sits longer.

Then I have to hump home on foot, let it sit for a few hours, then bring it back home.

Also if I simple try and drive it while its "stuck" at 3k rpms, it still wont cut down to normal idle.

Thanks everyone
Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 294 Likes on 244 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Welcome to the forum.

Although you have a Renix, and there are some wise people on this forum regarding Xj's from this era (and I'm not), just some more general info on your problem.
High revs possible causes: IAC dirty, sticking throttle body valve, faulty TPS, vacuum leaks to name a few.
So, a good start is starting with cleaning the IAC and throttle body/valve and check for vacuum leaks. If this does not resolve the issue, checking the TPS is a good thing.

Cruiser54 is one of the Renix experts on here and in his signature there is a link to a wide variety of helpfull Renix (mostly) advice/things-to-do.

Do a search on the above procedures, they have been described extensively in other threads. See how you go, others will chime in.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Roler
Welcome to the forum.

Although you have a Renix, and there are some wise people on this forum regarding Xj's from this era (and I'm not), just some more general info on your problem.
High revs possible causes: IAC dirty, sticking throttle body valve, faulty TPS, vacuum leaks to name a few.
So, a good start is starting with cleaning the IAC and throttle body/valve and check for vacuum leaks. If this does not resolve the issue, checking the TPS is a good thing.

Cruiser54 is one of the Renix experts on here and in his signature there is a link to a wide variety of helpfull Renix (mostly) advice/things-to-do.

Do a search on the above procedures, they have been described extensively in other threads. See how you go, others will chime in.

Hey buddy thanks!
That's the route I was heading towards. ill be getting to it tomorrow. so after ill posts updates.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Updates are important!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:21 PM

Update... Stock IAC was going out. Put a new one in real quick today before the Superbowl. Jeep runs great (with a few hot engine turn over tests), but the true off and on test will be this week. Go Broncos!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:57 AM
CF Veteran

Sounds promising. The IAC and throttle body cleaning are good maintenance items to do anyway.
Let us know if any issues recur and we'll look further.