Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clutch Slave Cylinder chronic failure

Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Clutch Slave Cylinder chronic failure

TL;DR- Clutch system leaking out the trans, replaced the slave, new one is leaking too. Something else broken or does my truck break slave cylinders?

Hello all,
First, the vehicle: 1988 Comanche (MJ), 4.0L, 4wd, Peugeot 5spd

Now the issue. Driving down to Albany last week the clutch all of a sudden went out. I knew it had clutch issues when I bought it (the week before) so I wasn't too surprised. Judging from what was coming out the bottom of the bell housing I decided the slave was leaking. So I topped it off and kept driving. This happened more and more frequently until it took about three 'clutches' for the reservoir to empty itself. I barely made it to my friends' place in Troy.

While I was down there I changed the slave cylinder. If anyone wants to hear how to do it without dropping the crossmember, since the bolts are blocked in by the frame and they spin freely when the welds break, let me know. It's a painful job.

But about 50 miles later it started leaking again. Now it leaks at a constant speed, regardless of whether I'm clutching and I continue to top it off.

My questions are, what else could it be? The lines looked good when I had it out. Could the master cylinder be bad? But then why would the DOT 3 be coming off the bottom of the bell housing? Is something in my system breaking slave cylinders? I put in new o rings with the new slave cylinder, those connections look pretty fool proof.

Thanks in advance,
X