Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

clutch lost pressure, stuck in gear, hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default clutch lost pressure, stuck in gear, hard shifting

Hey guys...My jeeps clutch is has been giving me soooooo many issues over the past month. there is lots of play in the clutch pedal, it sits about halfway to the floor and it has been getting very hard to put into gear lately. i have to use almost all my upper body strength to get the damn thing in first gear. it first started when i whipped in my bros driveway, and went to shift it into reverse and all i heard was a loud grind. pumped the clutch pedal 26 times and went into reverse fine, then i couldnt get it out of reverse. the clutch is engaging about an inch off the floor. i have no mechanical experience whatsoever, dont have much money on me, and really need a pointer on what could be wrong with it. probably even a step by step with the list of tools needed...i know its lots to ask for, but i really need this truck on the road as it is my daily driver. thanks alot jeep cherokee people.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L High Output

Oh god...I have been through the exact same problem your going through, trust me I know the feeling you have right now. Chances are, it isn't your clutch itself so don't freak out about that. There are two hydraulic parts that run the hydraulics for the clutch that can fail, (The two hydraulic parts I am talking about is the Clutch Master Cylinder & Clutch Slave Cylinder). First things first in my opinion would be to Check the Master Cylinder and see if you have fluid loss. The master cylinder is located on the far drivers side of the firewall under the hood and it says CLUTCH on the cap.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

As has been said, the issue will be either you master cylinder, or the slave cylinder OR the line between the two.

master cyl replacement- two nuts hold it in place, one on the engine side of the fire wall (under the master cyl, hard to see) I used an extention, universal and socket to remove this one. The other is on the interior side, should be able to get this with a socket and a extention. I think the stud came out with the nut on this side, I cant really remember right now. The linkage will be held on to the clutch peddle with a clip, remove the clip with pliers and it will slide off the shaft. There is a roll pin in the master cylinder where the line connects, this roll pin will have to be removed with a punch and a hammer, then the line will slide right out of it.

I had my clutch line burst between the master and slave cyl. on my jeep, I bought two adaptors and a 60" SS braided line. should hold up better then the OEM setup and I was not able to locate an OEM replacement, so making my own was my only option.
clutch lost pressure, stuck in gear, hard shifting-ezhfhhp.jpg
clutch lost pressure, stuck in gear, hard shifting-cld7lwv.jpg

As for the slave, if I remember correctly the 95' has an external slave cylinder, which means yours is not between the tranmission and motor (good thing, this means you wont have to remove the tranmission to replace it like I had to) but I cannot tell you exacly how to replace it, but it should be fairly simple (remove lines, unbolt it & replace)

In the end, I replaced everthing clutch related other then the clutch, which was near new when I bought my jeep. I think I had rouphly $300 into this setup.

Now, you need to figure out if/where it is leaking and fix it!

Last edited by crdude; 03-22-2013 at 04:57 AM.