Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cluster & Warning Lights Inop

Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cluster & Warning Lights Inop

Hey people, I'm an XJ newbie, just bought a 95 and it has an issue in the instrument cluster (i think). Gas gauge, speedometer, odometer & all warning lights are inop. Turn signal & high beam indicators in cluster still light up though which is weird cuz at first I thought there was no power getting to cluster. Also aren't the warning lights on the side seperate from the cluster (those are out too).

The guy I bought it from replaced the battery and alternator two days before I bought it and he says it began after that. Not sure if thats related. When i rechecked his work I found negative cable loose but thats it. I checked fuses, the one for the cluster was blown but with a new fuse it still doesn't work.

I've read a lot about how this instrument clusters have problems and I was gunna go get one from the junkyard but I'm not sure that thats it considering the above symptoms. Should I get a new cluster and see what happens or it there something else I'm missing??

Any help is much appreciated,

-Chris
Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM

I'm having the same problem after replacing the battery and alternator. Anyone have any advise for us two noobs?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Thats interesting cuz mine happened after a new battery and alternator also. Don't expect any forum help though cuz I posted on multiple and didn't get any feedback - thats ok its just a weird problem. I figured it out though. It was a couple weeks ago lemme see if I remember what I did! Remove the fuse box and follow the wires out of the fuse box from fuse #17. You'll want to remove the panel that runs along the bottom of the dash to access under the steering column better. Theres a white&black wire that connects via a small connector to a pink and black wire somewhere under the column there. Unplug that and leave it unplugged. See if it works! I also remember I found some odd aluminum relay and was burning hot so I disconnected that. Disconnecting these things that no noticable effects in my jeep other than making the cluster work. Hope that helps. Good luck.