Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clunking/Popping Noise front wheels 1998 XJ Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default Clunking/Popping Noise front wheels 1998 XJ Sport

Hi Guys,

Im new here, just purchased my Jeep back in April. Its a 1998 Cherokee (XJ) with roughly 130,000 miles.

I've been having an issue with my truck since ive gotten it.

When the wheel it turned at least have the way and i am moving at a low speed, there is a loud pop/clunk noise which comes from the front wheels.
Examples of when it happens: Reversing/turning to get out of a parralel spot, going over any bumps slowly, with the wheel turned at all (turning into the driveway). im sorry if im not describing it too well, but i cant think of any other way to describe it. I will try to record the sound, and leave a link to it soon.

Additional info - I have death wobble and have been told by numerous people that all i need is new front tires and an alignment (which is true because my front tires have uneven wear (already like that when they were put on used) and i can tell by the steering and drifting that i need an alignment, but i was wondering if this wobble and this clunking could in any way be connected.

Any input is helpful guys. Unfortunately i am limited to rock auto parts and my own/ & friends car repair skills, so a mechanic visit is out of the question for now (Im BROKE !
Old 08-27-2013, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

You should jack it up and have a look, could be anything up to and including the steering box tearing loose.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Check track bar... also check sway bar bushings at the frame and end links. I have a screwed up bushing on my driver's side end link and it pops and clicks when I steer sometimes. Also check tie rod ends...

Is it lifted? Or all stock parts on the front end?

I personally don't see how tires alone can "cause" death wobble. Maybe someone else here can chime in on that.... Maybe they are cupping from worn out shocks and vibrating at higher speeds? Death wobble occurs when you hit a bump in the road and the thing shakes super violently. Then, when you slow down, it subsides. Definitely get that alignment though, that's important