Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clunking felt in the floor and steering...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6cyl.
Default Clunking felt in the floor and steering...

Ok, I have gotten used to all the clunks and bangs the XJ makes and know that they are not bad except.... I came to a stop last night and could hear and feel a clunk clunk clunk as I was stopped in the wheel and floor board as I was sitting still. I only did this twice and when it did it I did it right as I started rolling. Sounds like and feels like front end. Now, I do know that the u joints in the front axle are bad. Could this be the u joints wrapping as the drive shaft tries to turn while sitting still. Its an automatic. Just looking to see if I am on the right track. I also know that I get this noise from the rear drum brakes and know that they need replaced but have been kicking around weather to fix the drums or do a disc upgrade to the rear.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:11 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Have you checked the U-joint and trans mounts?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by XJ Joe 1723
Ok, I have gotten used to all the clunks and bangs the XJ makes and know that they are not bad except.... I came to a stop last night and could hear and feel a clunk clunk clunk as I was stopped in the wheel and floor board as I was sitting still. I only did this twice and when it did it I did it right as I started rolling. Sounds like and feels like front end. Now, I do know that the u joints in the front axle are bad. Could this be the u joints wrapping as the drive shaft tries to turn while sitting still. Its an automatic. Just looking to see if I am on the right track. I also know that I get this noise from the rear drum brakes and know that they need replaced but have been kicking around weather to fix the drums or do a disc upgrade to the rear.
Personally, I would never drive anything that had less than 100% functioning brakes. U-joints & brakes are maintenance items, why not just repair it?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:14 AM

Personally, I am comfortable driving my rig, I was just looking to see if anyone has had this noise. I will check the trans mount. I know all about maintanence and the truck stops fine just makes noise.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:52 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Jack it up one wheel at a time. While the wheel is off the ground, grab it at 12 & 6 (picture the face of a clock) push in with one hand and pull out with the other. If you have play (it moves) have some else do the same while you look at the front bushings. You should be able to locate where the play is. Do it again at 3 & 9. Do the same thing with your helper and see if you notice where the play is. It sound like a bad bushing somewhere.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

X2 on that. I'd like to know what's loose and if it's going to fall off. (steering box, Pittman arm)

"I came to a stop last night and could hear and feel a clunk" Might want to check those calipers also.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:30 PM

The clunking is going on while sitting still, in park and engine running. Found the issue, the exhaust pipe is bouncing off of the trans mount by the transfer case. Will do the rest of the front end repairs this next weekend when I get paid.