Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cleaning out my Carpet

Old 03-27-2018, 01:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Cleaning out my Carpet

So I got my new XJ, traded the other one to the previous previous previous owner (as i've posted about prior).

This XJ is stock and rust free. 225k miles so it has its wear but overall its in amazing shape. That being said she definitely wheeled it stock a couple times and the carpets are all filthy, damp, muddy, and sandy.

Just wondering what you guys do to get the carpets back to "new". I cant put enough emphasis on the air quotes around """new"""
Old 03-27-2018, 01:37 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I have a carpet shampooer for home with a scrubber wand attachment. I use that, judiciously, making sure to get all the water out, then a fan/airflow to dry quickly. You don't want to saturate the carpet and foster rust.

-T.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Engine: 4.0l

honestly id rip that carpet out and check for rust and such if alls good judge the condition of the padding underneath if it looks somewhat clean then id hang it on a wall and pressure wash it i used simple green on mine, Spray on liberally and then scrub like you never scrubbed before and spray it off and dont get to close or youll ruin the fibers. But if you do it right itll clean up nice. I used a shop vac to suck up the water in it and let it air dry for a day to a week depending on weather mine was constantly rainy so i had it on the patio drying and took a week. Put in and while the padding smelled a wee bit it finally went away after a week and smelled very good after. I have a thread about it somewhere. ill find it
Old 03-27-2018, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/pre...arpets-238428/
Old 03-27-2018, 02:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Thernlund
I have a carpet shampooer for home with a scrubber wand attachment. I use that, judiciously, making sure to get all the water out, then a fan/airflow to dry quickly. You don't want to saturate the carpet and foster rust.

-T.
I'm gonna have to try something like this

Originally Posted by EEVEE
honestly id rip that carpet out and check for rust and such if alls good judge the condition of the padding underneath if it looks somewhat clean then id hang it on a wall and pressure wash it i used simple green on mine, Spray on liberally and then scrub like you never scrubbed before and spray it off and dont get to close or youll ruin the fibers. But if you do it right itll clean up nice. I used a shop vac to suck up the water in it and let it air dry for a day to a week depending on weather mine was constantly rainy so i had it on the patio drying and took a week. Put in and while the padding smelled a wee bit it finally went away after a week and smelled very good after. I have a thread about it somewhere. ill find it
honestly ripping out is my worst case scenario here. I'm really not looking to do that at the moment but I have before and i will if i absolutely have to. Just looking to get them cleaned up and dried nicely without ripping them out lol
Old 03-27-2018, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Pull the seats, center console, and side plastic trim, and remove the carpet. I pressure washed mine and scrubbed with purple power and the carpet looks great. If you are not going to pull the carpet then I would not bother.

Last edited by MonacaYankee; 03-27-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever you do, don't take it to a "detailing" shop. Spend the $50, or however much they go for these days, and rent a rug doctor with the upholstery attachment. Give it a good vacuum first.

Good friend of mine spent $100 on a detail and the stench was still there, carpets still nasty—he rented a RugDoctor the next week and it was pulling up black/brown sludge into the waste tank.

Also, if there's a pervading odor, see if you can rent an ozone generator— they kill organic things that most soaps won't wash out— mildew, mold, feces, cigarette smoke, pet smells, etc.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jessenator
Whatever you do, don't take it to a "detailing" shop. Spend the $50, or however much they go for these days, and rent a rug doctor with the upholstery attachment. Give it a good vacuum first.

Good friend of mine spent $100 on a detail and the stench was still there, carpets still nasty—he rented a RugDoctor the next week and it was pulling up black/brown sludge into the waste tank.

Also, if there's a pervading odor, see if you can rent an ozone generator— they kill organic things that most soaps won't wash out— mildew, mold, feces, cigarette smoke, pet smells, etc.
to bad my friend isnt near by he has a steam vac and that thing is epic
Old 03-27-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

THAT would do it too!

Yeah, use the hottest water you can (or that's allowed) in the rug doctor. They make cold-water detergents, but if the upholstery can take it…
Old 03-27-2018, 03:59 PM

Engine: 4.0

Bissell Little Green worked well for me. I've done both pulling the carpet (on my Comanche) and leaving it in while cleaning (on the Cherokee). If you're leaving it in, the hottest water possible like mentioned above is key. I'll be pulling the Cherokee carpets in the summer and doing a combination pressure wash and Little Green cleaning.

Last edited by 01Show&Street; 03-27-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: read some above notes
Old 03-27-2018, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
Pull the seats, center console, and side plastic trim, and remove the carpet. I pressure washed mine and scrubbed with purple power and the carpet looks great. If your not going to pull the carpet then I would not bother.

that is the best way you never get everthing clean with leaving it in and you be amazed how much dirt still comes off when it just looks clean, ive used Simple Green and Dawn works great.

Marc

edit: it is actually not that much work, i had the seats and middle console out and seatbelt receivers then removed the carpet and put the seats back in for 2 days while i cleaned it and let the carpet dry really good. didnt even use a power washer just good brush and rinse with water. in the main time you can look for leaks very easy on the plain metal if any

Last edited by LadyKenai; 03-27-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:24 PM

and yes for a 24 year old carpet it looks like ""new""
Old 03-28-2018, 08:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jessenator

Great points. I work for an Electric and HVAC company I'll see what I can do in the realm of IAQ, but there isnt a horrible smell or anything right now. I just noticed when i got her that the carpets were a dirty and damp. obviously o3 would be the way to go to prevent mold and such.

Damn! I think I we might have a rug doc at work now that i'm reading it. Might see if i can borrow it.

Originally Posted by LadyKenai
that is the best way you never get everthing clean with leaving it in and you be amazed how much dirt still comes off when it just looks clean, ive used Simple Green and Dawn works great.

Marc

edit: it is actually not that much work, i had the seats and middle console out and seatbelt receivers then removed the carpet and put the seats back in for 2 days while i cleaned it and let the carpet dry really good. didnt even use a power washer just good brush and rinse with water. in the main time you can look for leaks very easy on the plain metal if any
I know I've done a full rip out on my last one. I sank in a swamp pretty badly. It was quite nasty.
All dank mud under the insolation and uhg that was gross. i actually took everything out and powerwashed the tub prior to bedlining it.
That said I plan on leaving this carpet in lmao.