Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Chirping noise while driving after brake job

Old 06-22-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Chirping noise while driving after brake job

Just picked my XJ up from the shop after getting all new rear brakes (shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, new brake lines) and now there's a chirping noise while driving that goes away as soon as I hit the brakes. It's there no matter what until I hit the brakes so it must be brake related. Any ideas? Like anti rattle clips loose? Just wanted a few ideas so I can help the mechanic out. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Geeze where were customers like you when I was working in a shop? Nobody ever wants to "help" the mechanic lol.

Bring your Jeep back and go on a test drive with the mechanic. Explain what noise to listen for and show him that it stops when applying the brakes. The faster you do this the better since you just had the brakes worked on.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just called him and I'll take it in Monday. He thinks they might be adjusted a bit tight.

And yeah, he did a great job overall and worked me in quickly. This was a nasty job I couldn't do, so I'm in no place to rip him one. Lol.