Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee Transmission Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Cherokee Transmission Issues?

Hi All,
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 2001- 125k Miles.

A few months back my Jeep started "Revving Up" every 7 seconds when the AC was engaged. I would hear a click in the front of the jeep, if looking head on- The click came from the left.

Most recently a family member took my Jeep to a repair shop and the owner mentioned there was "Gunk" forcing the car to exert more power to engage when the AC was on. He cleared the gunk and also mentioned that the car works great but may have a tranmission valve problem down the road. But for now its all fine.

24 hours later the Jeep died mid drive. Jeep would start and then die after a few seconds. Other times it would start and I could drive it for a minute and then it would die.

We took the jeep back in and now they are telling me the computer is pointing to a problem with the transmission and will cost 1700 to fix. A lot is uncertain at this point.

I would also like to point out that prior to the initial trip to the garage regarding the "revving" issue, I had this garage look over the jeep and fix any critical issues. They initially had not mentioned anything wrong with the transmission and this jeep has never had those issues or broken down.

Thoughts???

The first garage trip resulted in the replacement of the exhaust system, scrubbing back brakes and a couple other minor fixes.

would love to hear some advice on the matter. You can reach me sirectly at tomurban27@gmail.com

Thank you so much, i am in the dark on this one.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I would try to get as much information out of your mechanic as you can...ask a lot of questions...and try to get him to give you COMPLETE answers (not vague answers)...

Note...a comment like `clearing the Gunk` is a vague answer. `I flushed the transmission fluid and found an an unusual amount of sludge.` is a complete answer.

It would challenge him on how a A/C compressor that cycles on and off every 7 seconds would lead him to the conclusion of a transmission valve problem. They really are not related. The A/C compressor does cycle on and off, the engine will need to rev up when the A/C cylces...but 7 seconds is too frequent. I think that an A/C service might have been more appropriate first...your A/C might have just needed to be re-charged.

Questions I would ask:
What do you think is wrong with the transmission? Is it related to work done in the last few days?? Why did it die now? Do you really think that the motor stalling because of the transmission?
[NOTE: if the JEEP dies while in PARK or NEUTRAL, it probably is NOT the transmission.]

Where did you find the GUNK build up? Is there more GUNK there??
[sounds like, maybe, he changed transmission fluid??]

What, exactly, did you replace with the exhaust system? Did you replace the oxygen sensors? What brand Oxygen sensors did you use?
[NOTE:many folks on this forum think the Oxygen sensor on JEEPs are finicky towards certain brands...you can search on this...might be a problem.]

Don`t argue with the guy at the garage. You need to get as many answers as you can. But...I think you probably will want to look for another mechanic to fix your JEEP. Tell they guy you need to `think about` fixing the JEEP before you commit to spending more money. Let us know what you find out. There are a lot of folks on this forum that help out!

Good Luck!!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

The "click" was probably just the AC compressor clutch engaging.

Any chance that what he cleaned was the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve?

Having the Jeep die on you does not sound like a transmission issue.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by belvedere
The "click" was probably just the AC compressor clutch engaging.

Any chance that what he cleaned was the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve?

Having the Jeep die on you does not sound like a transmission issue.
The only thing to kill the jeep would be if the tranny locked up and made the motor stall....if it dies even while idling in park or drive...its not the tranny. At all. You have an issue with the MOTOR and its ability to idle.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:04 PM

So I found out that when they were adressing the AC engage "Click" and the RPM's going up every 7 seconds, they cleaned out the Throttle Body. If thy made a mistake or did not reconnect something correctly in this area could this cause the engine to die while driving? or cause the jeep not to start, or start and die after ten seconds?

Any components included in the cleaining of the Throttle body that if not re assembled correctly cause the engine to have stalling issues?
Old 11-01-2013, 06:55 AM
CF Veteran

I suppose a vacuum line left disconnected somewhere could do it, but this would have caused problems from the start, not 24 hours later. Try to find out if he cleaned the Idle Air Control valve. If not, it should be done, as it's usually needed.

If your Jeep dies while driving, though (not at idle), the problem lies elsewhere. The possibilities are many, and will require some diagnosis by a competent shop. Two things that come to mind are the fuel pump and the CPS, but like I said, could be a lot of things.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Update:
The mechanic decided it wasn't the tranny and I took the jeep home. I drove it 20 miles home and no issues. The previous time I drove it the jeep had died randomly an wouldn't start back up.

So I drove the jeep home, later that evening I drove the jeep about 10 minutes out and it died again. Wouldn't start back up, it would kick but not turn over. I got out and pushed the jeep 30 feet into a parking spot. The jeep started up an ran for about 5 seconds then died again. I repeated pushing the car back into another parking spot, the car started again for 5 seconds then died.

I left the car for about 30 minutes and then came back, the jeep started up and I was able to drive it a mile back to my house.

The mechanic came and picked it up yesterday and repeated the engine stall, they are saying it is a CRANK SHAFT VALVE/SENSOR AND A CAM SHAFT VALVE/SENSOR.

With the work they did cleaning out the THROTTLE BODY and installing a new exhaust system cause these issues?....does anyone know how much these things cost to replace. My issue at hand is the jeep ran fine until the garage replaced the exhaust system and cleaned out the throttle body.

Thanks all!

I suppose a vacuum line left disconnected somewhere could do it, but this would have caused problems from the start, not 24 hours later. Try to find out if he cleaned the Idle Air Control valve. If not, it should be done, as it's usually needed.

If your Jeep dies while driving, though (not at idle), the problem lies elsewhere. The possibilities are many, and will require some diagnosis by a competent shop. Two things that come to mind are the fuel pump and the CPS, but like I said, could be a lot of things.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM

I also want to let you know that I believe this is a good garage and I don't think they are ripping me off. They have a great reputation. But I'm leaning towards an oversight or an accidental mistake in repairs. Or this is total coincidence.
Thanks again z

Originally Posted by tommyurbs
Update:
The mechanic decided it wasn't the tranny and I took the jeep home. I drove it 20 miles home and no issues. The previous time I drove it the jeep had died randomly an wouldn't start back up.

So I drove the jeep home, later that evening I drove the jeep about 10 minutes out and it died again. Wouldn't start back up, it would kick but not turn over. I got out and pushed the jeep 30 feet into a parking spot. The jeep started up an ran for about 5 seconds then died again. I repeated pushing the car back into another parking spot, the car started again for 5 seconds then died.

I left the car for about 30 minutes and then came back, the jeep started up and I was able to drive it a mile back to my house.

The mechanic came and picked it up yesterday and repeated the engine stall, they are saying it is a CRANK SHAFT VALVE/SENSOR AND A CAM SHAFT VALVE/SENSOR.

With the work they did cleaning out the THROTTLE BODY and installing a new exhaust system cause these issues?....does anyone know how much these things cost to replace. My issue at hand is the jeep ran fine until the garage replaced the exhaust system and cleaned out the throttle body.

Thanks all!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Two things that come to mind are the fuel pump and the CPS, but like I said, could be a lot of things.
If it were mine I'd start with those things.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tommyurbs
they are saying it is a CRANK SHAFT VALVE/SENSOR AND A CAM SHAFT VALVE/SENSOR.
Probably the crankshaft position sensor (CPS). If they say it is both, they are shotgunning it.